What do quality factory furniture makers use for a finish these days?

Page 1 of 3
Nitrocellulose lacquer must be out of favor in most localities by now. I'm pretty sure you can't use it in a factory setting in CA these days, probably in some other places too. Would I be correct to assume most of them use a spray on polyurethane product? This is the case with high quality guitars, where most of my woodworking and finishing experience comes from. Nitro is the traditional finish for quality guitars, but in recent years poly has pretty much become the standard out of necessity, much to the chagrin of purists. Anyone know what the better furniture makers use and how it rates? Can anyone buy good furniture anymore, or does everything come from Ikea and Oak Express these days?
Hax Planks wrote:

As far as factory stuff goes, these guys make some terrific stuff: <http://www.stickley.com/index.html
Check out the factory tour link. I'm pretty sure they use nitrocellulose lacquer.
California still HAS factories? I thought they were all driven away with taxes and laws. <G>
Here in New England there are plenty of one-off folks who will make good stuff for a price. I know a guy who sells Mohawk finishing products to shops, and I understand he still sells an awful lot of lacquer.
Barry
B a r r y says...

I thought the Stickley prices were high until I saw the Michael Colca page. For Stickley it looks like the finish choices are lacquer and oil/wax. I'm surprised that a top drawer (haha) furniture maker would sell their products with a finish that offers so little protection. Not that oil and wax should never be used, but I wonder if customers know how vulnerable it is.
Hi, have a look at: http://www.hesse-lignal.de / (also in english)
for professional use. Cheers Sven Tischlermeister (prof. joiner with qualification)

http://www.thomasmoser.com/company/company.about.tour.php
Take the shop tour, go to finishing. They exclusively make cherry pieces. Several coats of boiled linseed oil and wax.
mutt

I have a Henredon sofa that cost me about $4k. It's leaking goose down. This does not please me at all. My conclusion, after looking at a lot of stuff in furniture stores is that you have to make quality furniture yourself or have it custom built.
--
I can find no modern furniture that is as well designed and emotionally
satisfying as that made by the Arts and Crafts movement in the early years

You might fine this fellows work very nice. Expensive but has a Mission look to it. http://www.io.com/~colca/Home_Furniture/_Casework/_casework.html

You're right, Leon. Those are really nicely designed.
Patriarch
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:26:14 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch

Agreed, but it's more decorative, more of a G&G + Roycroft influence.
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 05:57:25 -0800, Larry Jaques

Maybe it's just me, but I find the Treter Buffet <http://www.io.com/~colca/Home_Furniture/_Casework/Tretter_Buffet/tretter_buffet.html to be pretty much gluteous ugly.
<snip>

Well, I agree that wasn't my favorite...
Patriarch

It's his beauty of craftsmanship. It's the back view of the mirror where it connects to the dresser that did if for me.

That I will grant you. I've seen that approach for attachment in FWW a number of years ago (think they were advocating it for upper half of a china cabinet) and was really impressed with the idea.
The dresser isn't too bad either, esthetically (IMO). The treter buffet lines and angles neither flow well nor do they blend together in a harmonious manner. Of course, that's my opinion, peoples' idea of esthetically pleasing differs widely, so others may find it a thing of beauty.

LOL...
Peoples' idea of esthetically pleasing.... Ponder that. LOL.. A good friend whom I often work with had a job in an affluent neighborhood. The decorating was questionable in the customers house. The probably 6,000+ square foot house with large spiral staircase, wooden floors with a 10' diameter raised step floor in the middle of the living room surrounded with 6, 10" diameter columns going to the 12' tall ceilings gives you an idea of the styling of the home as you enter through the front door. I found that odd but the furniture at the entry way was bizarre. First thing you see are 3 over stuffed art deco style chairs covered in red velvet and between each chair stood equal height penguins in tuxedos holding ash trays filled individually loose cigarettes.

I think I'd want to see it in situ.
Seems to me the surroundings and lighting would make a big differnece for a piece like that.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

years to see how it fit in with your other furnishings;-) Joe
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:53:22 -0700, the inscrutable Mark & Juanita

I think I'd like it better in fumed white oak. It's reminiscent of the Liberty sideboard which I liked but wouldn't want in my home. This is similar:
http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/archive/1111/1027_1_md.jpg
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications

That thing looks like someone cut the top off of another piece and glued it to a table. At the time these were made I think that opium and cocaine were legal. Is this design an Arts & Crafts example of the result of recreational drug use?
--
I can find no modern furniture that is as well designed and emotionally
satisfying as that made by the Arts and Crafts movement in the early years
On 26 Feb 2005 00:00:26 GMT, the inscrutable Ed Clarke

I'll see if I can find that nicer Liberty sideboard/hutch and email the pic to you. Is that email addy valid?
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications

Sure is, send away!