What did I make? (May be useful to others)

I believe in "adopt, adapt and improve". The other day I was resisting buying an electric scroll saw. But I had a project which would really benefit from one. Suddenly: an idea. I (very securely) mounted a jig saw to a piece of 1/2" X 16" X 12" ply with the base plate flat against the ply. I had cut a 1" hole in the ply directly under the blade so, when a blade was in the saw, it would poke through the ply. Then I attached two side walls to the ply on each side of the saw and turned it over so it stood on the edges of the walls. I ended up with sort of an upside-down scroll saw which works great with a scroll blade in the saw. It's probably dangerous as hell but also handy.
FoggyTown
foggytown wrote:

That's exactly the setup I use for my jigsaw. I learned long ago that it's sometimes a better choice to move the work over the tool rather than the tool over the work. (Unless of course you have a really big tool ;-)
Joe Barta

Or a large wife...
This

Would that mean the mortise was cut a little proud? I guess wood shims would have been out of the question?
Gary (trying to keep it on topic...... )
Zz Yzx wrote:

If you're gonna cry and complain (assuming you're crying and complaining) you can't do it yourself? You have to run to the nearest net-nanny for help?
Joe Barta
I'm neither crying nor complaining. And if I had desired to rip you to shreds and expose you as the witless twit that you are, I could easily have done so. You consistently provide abundant opportunity. If you can't recognize the humor and elegance of my response, you're hopeless.
Your post was base, crass, and pointless to this forum. Clearly, your knee-jerk response to my one-word reply acknowledges your weak-mindedness, and suggests a dire a lack of intelligence and wit.
I suggest you go search for your nads in a different forum.
-Zz

Zz Yzx wrote:

Golly, you meet the sweetest people in usenet.
Joe Barta
Zz Yzx wrote:

Why hold back? Let er rip. Surely there's more joy in biting... rather than simply barking a little to let everyone know you're here.
In order to maintain proficiency in usenet insulting (which you seem to take pride in) you need plenty of practice. So go right ahead... rip away.

Call me hopeless ;-)

Then don't read it Beavis. And for gosh sake... don't respond to it! (And YOU are calling ME a witless twit?)

Clearly. Geez.

And I suggest... ah nevermind.
At any rate, pleased to meet you and I hope our next crossing will be under more genial circumstances.
Joe Barta
foggytown wrote:

I have the same setup. I drilled two holes in the baseplate and fasten my old Craftsman jigsaw beneath a hole in the overhang of my bench. I made it to cut slots in small pieces and cutouts of animals. It really helps to have a variable speed saw for this.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Sounds gruesome. Does PETA know about you? ;-)
I've got a table for doing just that. Rockler sells a plate that fits a jigsaw to fit into a router table. Not new and not dangerous. It is, as you found out, very handy.

"CW" wrote in message

you
And many a south-of-the-border trim carpenter does the same thing ... with his jig saw, his circular saw, and electric drill with sanding sleeve.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05