What color to paint workshop

restore, repair and just tinker with cars... and yes my hands are generally greasy ... BUT from experience I can tell you that GREY shows dirt just as bad as white.... I masked off the area around all my door konbs and painted it BLACK and use only dark brown face plates on all my electrical switches and outlets...
BTW... I gave up wiping around the light switches long ago...life is just to short to worry about a "little" dirt.... NOW put a finger print on one of the cars and you will be in deep crap... lol Bob Griffiths

The walls in my shop are semi-gloss white. Cleans easy enough and nice and bright. I do some auto repair too and if I get grease on the wall I just wipe it off. When it gets too bad I repaint. In 14 years I have painted 3 times total. The walls get dingy from dust and exhaust before the grease around the outlets is a problem. Greg
Sat, Jan 22, 2005, 10:42pm snipped-for-privacy@acm.org (MarkWitczak) claims: I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white. I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have done out there.
Your money, your shop. Paint it Barney Purple if you want to.
Or, you could paint it the glossiest white you can find, walls, ceiling, floor, everything but the windows. Then you move your tools in, and hang stuff on the walls. All of a sudden it ain't so bright. Then you work for a few days, and get some sawdust everywhere. That dims it up a bit more. And that's when you realize why people use white paint.
JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get. - Albert

I haven't got to it yet, but mine is going to be safety yellow. No getting tired in that, and it makes the place seem warmer. Of course, I just got done painting the kitchen mandarin orange, so your tastes may vary wildly. (BTW, the light reflected off bright orange really makes maple cabinets glow)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

So, do you pass out sunglasses to your guests when they visit? :-)

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:16:18 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Nope, but it might not be a bad idea. Doesn't seem too bright to me, but I like that sort of thing. Dining room is newport blue, with a cobalt blue light fixture, so anyone with eyestrain can go hide in there. :) Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Personally, I wouldn't like an all-white room, even for a workshop. Would you? What color would make it most comfortable for you? What color or finish would help put you in the frame of mind to be inspired?
Obviously there are practical limitations - if it's too dark you'll need light fixtures right on every work area. Gloss can have harsh reflections. Otherwise, personal taste.

Researchers found that pink helps calm down inmates... might be useful for coping with high stress situations in the shop.
Not in my shop mind you. ;-)
John
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 04:00:23 GMT, "John Grossbohlin"

I hoped I wouldn't have had to see the original message, and can only suggest that anyone not capable of making an adult decision about something like this should stay away from anything sharp and get a new hobby [besides trolling that is.]
Mon, Feb 21, 2005, 4:34am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (KeithCarlson) claims: Personally, I wouldn't like an all-white room, even for a workshop. <snip>
That's only becuse you're not thinking. Go in the bathroom, sit down, engage the brain, think about it. After you get your machines, tools, and whatevers in, it woundln't be an all-white room anymore, now would it? You want color? Hang pictures of Roy and Norm up.
I think white is the best. It really brightens up the room. You never have enough light and as you get old, you need more light.
Prometheus wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:28:39 -0500, Perfer no to say

I'll agree with that one, but I just keep adding more light fixtures. I'd rather have a lot of bulbs than a dead white room- but that probably comes from living in and working on apartment buildings for several years where *everything* was painted white, so I can hardly bear to look at white rooms anymore.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
I don't understand why you need to paint it. After all it's just a garage. Ron

Hi Mark,
Well my shop is in the cellar with 3 very small windows so I need to make the best use of what light there is. Therefore mine is painted white. I have one wall that holds the tools over the bench and that's poly'd luan plywood.
I'm mostly Neander so i don't make a lot of dust but what there is, can show up on the wall - especially if I use the circular saur or the routah. Every once in a while I run the shopvac and swipe down the walls. Takes maybe 20 minutes.
--
Saville

I have no windows at all in my garage workshop so it is bright white and lit by shoplites.
A very light green in wipe clean eggshell, easier on the eye's!
We paint all our laser labs white for one very simple reason, it keeps your iris's closed lessening the chance of a laser damaging them with scatter.
A side effect is shadows are always darker as your eye's not getting all the available light, look under bench can't see something you know is there, get under bench and allow eye's to adjust and bingo there it is!
Niel.

Somehow I find your question sort of sad. Have people become so boring that they have to ask what color to paint, or so programmed that they have to follow the latest trend?
How about being unique, being individual, showing some personal expression of yourself. Who cares if everyone paints white. Personally, I think white is boring.However, as others said, it does add some light. But you dont have to paint EVERYTHING white. The house I used to own before I moved to a larger place, I had a workshop in the basement. Cinder block walls. I decided the gray block was dull and I wanted to liven it up the room, but not spend a fortune. I first installed some white ceiling tile. Then I bought a gallon of a light beige (off white) paint, and started at the top of the walls. I never realized how much paint cinder block sucks up and I ran out of paint after doing only the top 1/3 of the walls. It was late at night, the stores were closed, and I was out of paint. I took some old paint I had. Mixed some blues and greens and got a sort of aqua color (all flat latex), and I painted the next 3 blocks down with that stuff. That left the bottom two rows of blocks. I had a gallon of a darker gray semi gloss porch and deck enamel. I splashed a few brushfulls of that on the wall, and loved it. The bottom 2 blocks got that gray. Not only did I love the colors, but that porch and deck was real durable for those bottom blocks where all the abuse occurs to walls.

as boring and programmed as you, your question, and posting name?

I'm reading your post and wondering why you bothered responding.

I'm reading your post and wondering why you bothered responding.
randy