What color to paint workshop

So, do you pass out sunglasses to your guests when they visit? :-)

Mark & Juanita

I don't understand why you need to paint it. After all it's just a garage. Ron

Reply to
Ron

Hi Mark,

Well my shop is in the cellar with 3 very small windows so I need to make the best use of what light there is. Therefore mine is painted white. I have one wall that holds the tools over the bench and that's poly'd luan plywood.

I'm mostly Neander so i don't make a lot of dust but what there is, can show up on the wall - especially if I use the circular saur or the routah. Every once in a while I run the shopvac and swipe down the walls. Takes maybe 20 minutes.

Reply to
gregg

That raises another very good suggestion for a shop - close all of the toekicks and under-cabinet / under-bench spaces, it makes it so much easier to find things if you aren't looking under your bench in that

3" gap full of dust and industrial spider webs.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I have no windows at all in my garage workshop so it is bright white and lit by shoplites.

Reply to
ROBMURR

A very light green in wipe clean eggshell, easier on the eye's!

We paint all our laser labs white for one very simple reason, it keeps your iris's closed lessening the chance of a laser damaging them with scatter.

A side effect is shadows are always darker as your eye's not getting all the available light, look under bench can't see something you know is there, get under bench and allow eye's to adjust and bingo there it is!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

Reply to
Perfer no to say

Reply to
Mark Witczak

hi mark, unfortunately I have no way of taking a picture of the walls but I can tell were to look for the murals.most paint stores that sell wallpaper have many different books of wall murals(Sherwood Williams is one of the big names but I found the wood shop murals in a wallpaper shop)

Reply to
leonard

Somehow I find your question sort of sad. Have people become so boring that they have to ask what color to paint, or so programmed that they have to follow the latest trend?

How about being unique, being individual, showing some personal expression of yourself. Who cares if everyone paints white. Personally, I think white is boring.However, as others said, it does add some light. But you dont have to paint EVERYTHING white. The house I used to own before I moved to a larger place, I had a workshop in the basement. Cinder block walls. I decided the gray block was dull and I wanted to liven it up the room, but not spend a fortune. I first installed some white ceiling tile. Then I bought a gallon of a light beige (off white) paint, and started at the top of the walls. I never realized how much paint cinder block sucks up and I ran out of paint after doing only the top 1/3 of the walls. It was late at night, the stores were closed, and I was out of paint. I took some old paint I had. Mixed some blues and greens and got a sort of aqua color (all flat latex), and I painted the next 3 blocks down with that stuff. That left the bottom two rows of blocks. I had a gallon of a darker gray semi gloss porch and deck enamel. I splashed a few brushfulls of that on the wall, and loved it. The bottom 2 blocks got that gray. Not only did I love the colors, but that porch and deck was real durable for those bottom blocks where all the abuse occurs to walls.

Reply to
me

as boring and programmed as you, your question, and posting name?

Reply to
effi

I'm reading your post and wondering why you bothered responding.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

For most people, the purpose of a garage and basement are different. White, while "boring", is practical in a garage. Especially of seeing what you're working on is a consideration.

Reply to
The Dave©

Another thing to think about is that no matter what color you choose, if you are like a lot of us, you will cover the walls with tools anyway so they provide the color. If you need more color, get more tools!

Reply to
ToolMiser

I concur!! Spoke shaves usually have nice red handles...etc...

Rich B

Reply to
Rich

Do a google search on "wallpaper mural" -- there's *lots* of on-line catalogues with pictures, to browse through.

There's a great "double wide" (circa 25') of one of the features of the Grand Canyon, but d*mn if I know where I'd put it. :)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I'm reading your post and wondering why you bothered responding.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

As stated by others the wall are getting covered with tools, shelves, bicycles and many other things. However, I find it easier to locate my tools when they are on a flat whitish background. More important to me is the reflection and distribution of light. Whether the light is artificial or natural I find that a flat white ceiling bounces the lights better. Conversely when working in a workshop where the walls are dark gray like the basement concrete walls the feeling is not the same. This especially true where there are practically no windows. Also natural light coming from windows is better distributed when the walls are lite and flat in color. FWIW.

Reply to
Denis Marier

any color of semi gloss washable white that you like..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Nope, but it might not be a bad idea. Doesn't seem too bright to me, but I like that sort of thing. Dining room is newport blue, with a cobalt blue light fixture, so anyone with eyestrain can go hide in there. :) Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus