What color to paint workshop

Page 1 of 3
I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.
I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have done out there.
Thanks, Mark
Of coarse you can paint the shop any colour you like, but I think the main reason you will find most people paint the walls white is to reflex the light better. You will find that white walls will brighten up the place better. Another point to think about is that the colour of the walls also affect the look of the finish that you may be applying on a project in your shop.
Glenn

if you have the light then any color you want,that said if you only have a few overhead florescent lamps then white may be the way to go. my shop has wall murals of woodshops on the walls and a white ceiling.
Len

That's a neat idea. Can you post any pics of your murals?
leonard wrote:

hi mark, unfortunately I have no way of taking a picture of the walls but I can tell were to look for the murals.most paint stores that sell wallpaper have many different books of wall murals(Sherwood Williams is one of the big names but I found the wood shop murals in a wallpaper shop)
Len

Do a google search on "wallpaper mural" -- there's *lots* of on-line catalogues with pictures, to browse through.
There's a great "double wide" (circa 25') of one of the features of the Grand Canyon, but d*mn if I know where I'd put it. :)

Mine is white primer. Some day it may be a light blue. Light colors help with the lighting; just adding the sheetrock and primer on a couple of walls made a huge difference. . Blue and green are cheerful, gray is depressing.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

While it may be interesting to think of more exotic colors, flat white has some very practical benefits. First, it makes a huge difference in shop lighting levels. Secondly, it provides a neutral background upon which you can judge the various shades of finishes you will be using.

White's the best. It provides the bright reflected light you need, and it won't introduce false coloring that would be confusing for some finishing work.
Mark Witczak wrote:

Lotsa colors to choose from. I'd go with one of achromatic, achromic, blanched, bleached, chalky, frosted, milky, pallid, pasty, or maybe snowy.
Or you could just paint it white.
(Thanks to thesaurus.com.)
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:24:04 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan

Did someone mention pasties? Titillating! (Reminds me of Fran at The Body Shop in SD.)

There ya go. Satin/eggshell white. Bounces light around without the nastyarse glare of a gloss.

Wimp. Keep a copy of Roget on your desktop, as I do.
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
Larry Jaques wrote:

I have no idea where my thesaurus is. I don't use it terribly often, since I do a pretty good job of serving as a walking thesuarus myself. I sought out a little help in orchestrating that particular bit of smartassery though, because I was drawing a blank on alternative ways to say "white."
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:45:04 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan

Thesaurus.com served you well in that light, Minty.
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

Coast Guard Orange
;-]
red hides the bloodstains real good...
randy

I'm surprised nobody's suggested a gothic black theme, yet.
My basement workshop is natural ceiling (floor joists & subfloor), and the walls are white with a blue strip for color.
|I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that |I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on |for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white. | | |I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have |done out there.
Depends on the color of the carpet you install. I actually had a neighbor once with carpet in the garage.
Seriously, as most everyone else said: white.

White. The more light reflected by the walls and ceiling, the easier it is to find small parts when you drop them and they roll under the bench.
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:44:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That raises another very good suggestion for a shop - close all of the toekicks and under-cabinet / under-bench spaces, it makes it so much easier to find things if you aren't looking under your bench in that 3" gap full of dust and industrial spider webs.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com