What color is mahogany?

I am using mahogany for the first time. Freshly sanded it has the color of ash, but a lovely pearlescence. It is very fine grained and light weight.
Is this likely to be mahogany (which I always thought was red/purple) or something else?

Lots of woods are called "mahogany". Where did you get this from, and did they say what kind it was or give a country of origin?
Dave Hinz
If it feel real light and airy, look up luan.
john wrote:

Sounds like Philippine variety. It's cheap and often used for hollow core door skins.
Real mahogany will not look anything like ash.
Barry
Ba r r y wrote:

Philippine Mahogany dosn't have a fine grain it's almost like Oak, and is the color of mocha , it's not that bad to work, if your carful and it finishes great.

Mahogany is emphatically *not* red or purple. Much furniture made from mahogany has unfortunately been stained to a deep red that approaches purple, and that's what you get when you buy a stain labelled "mahogany", but that shade bears little or no relationship to the actual color of the wood.
African mahogany is about the color of an Irish setter; Honduras mahogany is similar, but not quite so red, more like a golden retriever.
Anything the color of ash is unlikely to be mahogany.
"john" writes:

Something else.
My guess is MUCH lower cost than Honduran Mahogany.
Lew
"African mahogany?" Khaya spp. It's light, and favors rowed figure.

Anigre?
Put a drop of water or thinner on it and you will get a good idea of what color it will change to if you finish it. Typically Mahogany is a redish medium brown color before finishing.

"Mahogany" covers a multitude of sins.
If it is 'light weight', what you _probably_ have is 'african mahogany'. which is a much more 'golden brown' than the 'reddish brown' of honduran mahogany.
Mahogany is usually mahogany colored.
I took it to the local exotic lumberyard. The owner tried to find out what I thought it was and where I found it, but when I refused to lead him he said he would call it "mahogany". But he defined mahogany as any of a dozen tropical woods that look pretty much the same.
Judging by what people here have said, I am guessing it is probably African mahogany.
Hey, it is a nice looking wood and I got it really cheap, so maybe it doesn't matter what it really is.
"john" wrote in message

A FWIW, when you go to finish it. Keep in mind that potassium dichromate is often used to give the different flavors of "mahogany" that _even_ reddish brown color ... while toxic, it really does a nice job.
You can probably Google for more info.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04