What color is mahogany?

I am using mahogany for the first time. Freshly sanded it has the color of ash, but a lovely pearlescence. It is very fine grained and light weight.

Is this likely to be mahogany (which I always thought was red/purple) or something else?

Reply to
john

Lots of woods are called "mahogany". Where did you get this from, and did they say what kind it was or give a country of origin?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If it feel real light and airy, look up luan.

john wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Sounds like Philippine variety. It's cheap and often used for hollow core door skins.

Real mahogany will not look anything like ash.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Mahogany is emphatically *not* red or purple. Much furniture made from mahogany has unfortunately been stained to a deep red that approaches purple, and that's what you get when you buy a stain labelled "mahogany", but that shade bears little or no relationship to the actual color of the wood.

African mahogany is about the color of an Irish setter; Honduras mahogany is similar, but not quite so red, more like a golden retriever.

Anything the color of ash is unlikely to be mahogany.

Doug Miller

Something else.

My guess is MUCH lower cost than Honduran Mahogany.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Put a drop of water or thinner on it and you will get a good idea of what color it will change to if you finish it. Typically Mahogany is a redish medium brown color before finishing.

Reply to
Leon

"African mahogany?" Khaya spp. It's light, and favors rowed figure.

Reply to
George

"Mahogany" covers a multitude of sins.

If it is 'light weight', what you _probably_ have is 'african mahogany'. which is a much more 'golden brown' than the 'reddish brown' of honduran mahogany.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Mahogany is usually mahogany colored.

Reply to
Silvan

"George" wrote in news:41af9f88$1 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

Reply to
patriarch

Philippine Mahogany dosn't have a fine grain it's almost like Oak, and is the color of mocha , it's not that bad to work, if your carful and it finishes great.

Reply to
Richard Clements

I took it to the local exotic lumberyard. The owner tried to find out what I thought it was and where I found it, but when I refused to lead him he said he would call it "mahogany". But he defined mahogany as any of a dozen tropical woods that look pretty much the same.

Judging by what people here have said, I am guessing it is probably African mahogany.

Hey, it is a nice looking wood and I got it really cheap, so maybe it doesn't matter what it really is.

Reply to
john

A FWIW, when you go to finish it. Keep in mind that potassium dichromate is often used to give the different flavors of "mahogany" that _even_ reddish brown color ... while toxic, it really does a nice job.

You can probably Google for more info.

Reply to
Swingman

I have a lot of african mahogany laying about. I am currently making a shelf woth some. It is very warpy and somewhat unstable. But very attractive. The funny thing is it is cheaper than pine for me.

Light brown, open pores, visible grain structure (luan,not). Carves nice, not that I am a nice carver.

John