What cheap wood will look good stained dark?

Page 2 of 2

What about white ash? Pretty cheap and strong and not a soft wood.
FoggyTown Most of my projects' best features began as mistakes!

Poplar, with General Finishes' "Java" Gel Stain.
Example:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CrftsmanCh18.jpg
That's one coat ... two, was much darker, but you could still see the grain; three+ you couldn't even tell it was wood, in my tests.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07