What cheap wood will look good stained dark?

I settled on sycamore because it has interesting grain; I thought some of that would come through the dark finish. It is all cut and ready to assemble, so I was trying out some finishes. Sycamore slotches more than any wood I have ever used; way more.

Your tinted clear coat is sounding attractive. How do I go about that? I have some dark red and dark brown powered dye made to be added to water. Could it be added to water based varnish?

Reply to
Toller

The simple way is to add Trans-Tint dyes to sprayed shellac (Seal Coat). Sneak up on the color, and clear coat with your preferred product.

If you're comfortable with lacquer, swap Solar-Lux for TT, and add it to sprayed lacquer. Again, sneak up on the desired color.

**
**

B A R R Y