What can you with a lathe?

Page 3 of 4
Gene wrote:

Not useless. Tie a couple of them to a string and you have a bola. Put one on your desk and you have a paperweight. Put a bunch of them in a bag, and you have a weapon almost as good as a sack of doorknobs.
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

and another small forest of them in the basement. I collect wood from our Scout Reservation summer camp- wonderfully spalted Silver Birch, red pine, oak, maple- and give them as gifts to the staff. When I get a nice batch of donated greenwood from friends or neighbors I'll quick-turn a shroom or two from the same wood as a 'thank you'. Faster than a bowl or other item, and the warp of a green-turned shroom can be very "artsy- fartsy".
--
Happy Turning,
Vic

Make pens with a Vertilathe.
George http://vertilathe.freeyellow.com
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:04:08 +0000, NoNameAtAll wrote:

One thing you can do with a lathe is transport yourself into a world far, far away from nagging mates, fighting kids, etc.
Lathing is fun.
And if you show the SWMBO how the legacy works, she'll be begging you to buy is so she can use it. Then you'll never regret the decision.
-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
On 14 Jan 2004 16:04:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote:

Having a lathe is like entering a time machine. Start using it and you think an hour goes by, but really it was the entire day passes by. Very addicting machine, and I think it is one of the oldest woodworking machines. Justify it as a gift, rather than a necessity, just to keep out of the doghouse.
Phisherman wrote:

Too true. Makes one wish for windows in the shop. Step in at high sun, step out, and it's dark outside. Dark? How did that happen?
Because of this irritating thread I went out and bought the cheapest lathe that HF had. It was the $129 old model but I got if for $79 since it is discontinued. Anyway so I set it up and having never used a lathe before I actually read the 3 pages of instructions and off I went. I now have 7 honey dippers a candle holder and a dice cup. What a hoot. Puff

This points out one of the great things about a lathe - you really don't need an expensive or fancy one to do awfully nice (and fun) work. I have my Dad's old Sears Companion lathe he got maybe 35 years ago. It's turned a lot of miscellaneous chair rungs, wooden mallets, candlesticks etc. and probably didn't cost much over $100 new.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

Yeah, just don't say this too loud over on the woodturning newsgroup. They'll start talking about how if it doesn't weigh twice as much as your old Volkswagen, it's a piece of junk. :)
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:35:48 -0500, Silvan

Heh. It's bolted to a bench he built. 2x4 frame supporting 6 drawers full of junk. It may weigh more than the truck you drive!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Silvan wrote:

Some will, JOAT and I have never spoken up on that side of the argument. Back to our powered apple corer thread. Ruth was pretty specific about it being the turner not the lathe as well. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
On 14 Jan 2004 16:04:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote:

I needed a bunch of handles for chisels I bought on ebay, couldn't swing the price of a lathe so, as I had an old article on pole lathes (bungee cord lathes) I just built my own. Making your own tools is a really enjoyable experience. It is tough standing on one leg and pumping the lathe with the other but the whole operation was fun.....and inexpensive. I turned out about 8 handles, had a lot of fun learning something of the bodger's trade, and should I need to do any more turning, that is the way I will do it (with some modifications this time of course ...and probably some more the next time).
If you are interested just do a Google search on pole lathe for a lot of good links. And someplace on my computer I have the articles scanned in if you think you would like to try it.
Kiyu
When you can make 4 stair spindles an hour that has bumps, knobs, tapers and spirals an hour on your lathe, you are getting your worth from it. However, you can make a 28 stair style set, identical on a legacy in one day and sell them for $50 plus each. ($1400)

-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
So Joe, how fun is the Legacy ? I work with wood because I enjoy it. That's all its not to make a living its to have fun. Sure I supplement my income a bit with the things I make but I have FUN. Get my point ? Puff

You want to talk about fun. Well, fun is when you turn a pair of spindals, each looking like twisted rope with a hollow center (left twist and right twist) that has none of the strands touching, and you install them on the chair or chest you are building. Funiswhenyoumakeforafriendthestairstylesheneedeswhenheisbuildinghishouse. FunisknowingthatyourturningisbetterthanNorms.
-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
You want to talk about fun. Well, fun is when you turn a pair of spindles, each looking like twisted rope with a hollow center (left twist and right twist) that has none of the strands touching, and you install them on the chair or chest you are building. Fun is when you make for a friend the stair styles he needs when he is building his house. Fun is knowing that your turning is better than Norm's. Fun is knowing when you can make more stylish turnings that your friends that just have a lathe. Fun is being able to complete a project because you're not 'playing' on a lathe. Fun is seeing results in minutes. Fun is turning several 2" dowels in a matter of minutes, all with an exact duplication. Fun is knowing you don't have to spend $400 plus on a lathe duplicator. Fun is knowing you don't have to make jigs to finish a project.
Need I go on.
--

>Puff=A0Griffis wrote

>So Joe, how fun is the Legacy ? I work with wood because I enjoy

One hopes not, but one has been disappointed before.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
You just don't get it do you ? I ENJOY playing in my shop. I make cardboard boxes for a living I don't need to work when I get home I need to relax. Wood working fits the bill. If its making a oak end table for my Mother or scrolling out a dog out line clock for my Daughter, she is an Army M.P. in the K9 corps, or just turning a dice cup out of some scrap I laminated together. IT'S FUN GET IT. Puff
You want to talk about fun. Well, fun is when you turn a pair of spindles, each looking like twisted rope with a hollow center (left twist and right twist) that has none of the strands touching, and you install them on the chair or chest you are building. Fun is when you make for a friend the stair styles he needs when he is building his house. Fun is knowing that your turning is better than Norm's. Fun is knowing when you can make more stylish turnings that your friends that just have a lathe. Fun is being able to complete a project because you're not 'playing' on a lathe. Fun is seeing results in minutes. Fun is turning several 2" dowels in a matter of minutes, all with an exact duplication. Fun is knowing you don't have to spend $400 plus on a lathe duplicator. Fun is knowing you don't have to make jigs to finish a project.
Need I go on.
--
=20
>Puff Griffis wrote
Yes Joe but sell to who or whom? my shop has been open for months and I am having a hell of a time finding customers.