What brand of carpet tape?

FWIW, I sent 3M an email and they told me to call them as they needed more information about the application, which surprised me. This is so commonplace an application that I would have expected them to have the answer write off the bat. Maybe nobody has ever suggested it to them before.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Maybe they actually care about customer service. They could, of course, tell you to use one particular tape, but they have so many of them that there might be a better tape than that one for your use.

It's also possible - and this is just a guess based on your writing in this group - that they didn't understand what the hell you were talking about. :)

RicodJour
[...snip...]

I've had good results with this tape from Lee Valley.

Jim Weisgram

Home Depot carries various kinds of "carpet tape", and I've used most of them. What I have now is the "Duck Tape" brand, and they make at least two different kinds; one is crap, the other works great. You got the crap kind (the one with fiberglass strands); look for the kind that is made from woven _cloth_. You may have to dig into the packaging and peel a piece off the backing to make sure it's the woven cloth variety. It is much stronger than the fiberglass kind, has a better adhesive, and does not come apart in shreds when you remove it.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I agree completely. If you get the GOOD stuff (see my other reply to the OP) and you use baltic birch plywood or MDF templates (I'd be less confident with plastic templates) the chances that it will fail to hold are virtually nil. I've been doing it for years, and even after encountering my fair share of wicked blowouts and router kickback (usually due to my not paying attention to grain direction), the templates have never separated from the workpiece.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Naw, somebody just discovered a possible "line extension" -- Marketing will be all over this on Monday!

Reply to
Steve