What are the warmest winter socks?

Unheated shop, unfortunately.
Thanks.
On 10/24/2013 4:02 PM, Michael wrote:

your feet will stay warm in sub-zero weather.
But cold toes are the least of your problems. With cold temperatures, glue doesn't work right, finishes won't apply or cure properly, etc.
You could get a propane space heater. Maybe something like this: (Amazon.com product link shortened)82653385&sr=8-4&keywords=propane+forced+air+heater
On 10/24/2013 6:24 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

generate heat and stay warm. The feet may stay warm with great socks, but then you'll need gloves, which would get messy if you glue and you wouldn't be able to feel your work. Then, you'll need to constantly remove them and put them back on. It's a hassle.
Get a heater for the shop. That will be your best investment.
On 10/24/2013 3:24 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

A good time to focus on very old woodworking techniques that don't involve chemicals, just mechanically-joined worked and unfinished surfaces. You could practice those hand skills and remember just why we invented power tools.
On 10/24/2013 6:02 PM, Michael wrote:

Possibly not the warmest overall, that normally comes from insulated boots, but Smartwool hiking socks are super. They are, above all, comfortable and absorbent and all Merino wool. I hiked the Scottish highlands in the Spring with them and can't say that my feet ever got cold no matter how nasty the weather got. Not cheap by any stretch but I wouldn't buy anything else and they seem destined to last for many years.
On 10/24/2013 6:25 PM, BenignBodger wrote:

The problem for the OP is that he won't be hiking. I once stood for a couple of hours in zero-degree (F) weather watching the Quebec Carnaval Parade. I had serious cold-weather boots (with 1/2"-thick felt inner "booties") and a couple pairs of weather rated socks, but my toes went from cold to aching and then to unbearable nonetheless. However, they got all the way back to "comfortable" in just two blocks of walking.
Activity will keep you warmer whatever you wear. I can't ever remember being cold while shoveling snow, for instance, even though I deliberately dress lightly for it.
On 10/25/2013 11:34 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

If OP is going to be in his shop and just standing then he probably doesn't need to be there. I mean, who just _stands_ in the shop without moving around?
Michael wrote:

great. If you feet are cold, you are cold. Peeeeeeriod.
--
Jim in NC

Michael wrote:

Morgans wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Every year about this time, threads like this keep reminding me why I left NE Ohio.
Was a little nippy today, that off shore breeze kept the temps in the mid 60's all day long.
Oh well, 90's by the weekend.
BTW, do they still make Jon-EE hand warmers?
Lew
Keep Oder Eaters in all your shoes. You may not realize how they keep your feet warm until they fall apart a year or two later. But they "suck" moisture out of the shoe making it "warmer". I use the Wal~Mart variety.

On 10/25/2013 6:57 AM, mungedaddress wrote:

--
Jeff

You could try Corrymoor's mohair (goat) socks. http://www.corrymoor.com/the-socks.html
This is UK so YMMV. I've used them for over twenty years and would highly recommend. Not the cheapest but very good. I pick up a few pairs every time I'm in that neck of the woods. Good for all seasons, particularly the cold bits. I rarely wear any others. HTH, Nick.
A nice chair in front of a wood stove with felt slippers on. john