What are the warmest winter socks?

Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

Probably thick Merino wool socks. Add some insulated work boots, and your feet will stay warm in sub-zero weather.

But cold toes are the least of your problems. With cold temperatures, glue doesn't work right, finishes won't apply or cure properly, etc.

You could get a propane space heater. Maybe something like this:

Just Wondering

Possibly not the warmest overall, that normally comes from insulated boots, but Smartwool hiking socks are super. They are, above all, comfortable and absorbent and all Merino wool. I hiked the Scottish highlands in the Spring with them and can't say that my feet ever got cold no matter how nasty the weather got. Not cheap by any stretch but I wouldn't buy anything else and they seem destined to last for many years.

Reply to
BenignBodger

Battery powered socks. They are available with rechargeables, and work great. If you feet are cold, you are cold. Peeeeeeriod.

Reply to
Morgans

I agree with this. You would need to move around a lot in order to generate heat and stay warm. The feet may stay warm with great socks, but then you'll need gloves, which would get messy if you glue and you wouldn't be able to feel your work. Then, you'll need to constantly remove them and put them back on. It's a hassle.

Get a heater for the shop. That will be your best investment.

Reply to
Meanie

--------------------------------------- Morgans wrote:

----------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

------------------------------------------ Every year about this time, threads like this keep reminding me why I left NE Ohio.

Was a little nippy today, that off shore breeze kept the temps in the mid 60's all day long.

Oh well, 90's by the weekend.

BTW, do they still make Jon-EE hand warmers?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
mungedaddress

The problem for the OP is that he won't be hiking. I once stood for a couple of hours in zero-degree (F) weather watching the Quebec Carnaval Parade. I had serious cold-weather boots (with 1/2"-thick felt inner "booties") and a couple pairs of weather rated socks, but my toes went from cold to aching and then to unbearable nonetheless. However, they got all the way back to "comfortable" in just two blocks of walking.

Activity will keep you warmer whatever you wear. I can't ever remember being cold while shoveling snow, for instance, even though I deliberately dress lightly for it.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Very cool, good to know.

Reply to
woodchucker

You could try Corrymoor's mohair (goat) socks.

This is UK so YMMV. I've used them for over twenty years and would highly recommend. Not the cheapest but very good. I pick up a few pairs every time I'm in that neck of the woods. Good for all seasons, particularly the cold bits. I rarely wear any others. HTH, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

If OP is going to be in his shop and just standing then he probably doesn't need to be there. I mean, who just _stands_ in the shop without moving around?

Reply to
BenignBodger

A good time to focus on very old woodworking techniques that don't involve chemicals, just mechanically-joined worked and unfinished surfaces. You could practice those hand skills and remember just why we invented power tools.

Reply to
scritch

A nice chair in front of a wood stove with felt slippers on. john

Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Reply to
jloomis