What are the reasons so few modern planes measure up to the old one?

Page 3 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Pay Cash Come home with a great bargain that you got for only $xxxxxx Lose receipt on the way home. ;) regards John
"Anything for a Quiet Life"

Greetings....
You have to let her think its her idea...when I make something for the house...which is mostly what I do anyways...sometimes I employ the time honored..."new project...new tool" rule, A typical example might be...she sees a commercial or advertisment...and wants you to make one for her...you say "Well Honey, I would love to...but I would need a < insert tool name here > to make that...and I don't have one..
Most of the time you will get the tool...and you both win...she gets the furniture and you get the tool...
Hope this helps...
DCH

When I was a young lad, starting out, I would often do projects just to buy a much needed tool. I worked for cheap in those days. But I was able to put together a shop in my spare time without much outlay of my meager funds.
That standard line of, "But I need a (insert name of tool here) to make this item" became my mantra. One funny thing that happened a couple of times was that people would show up at my shop and demand a demonstration of the newly purchased tool. I gave it to them and they were satisfied.
I would never put up with that kind of nonsense now. But when funds are short and tool lust is strong, we will do all kinds of thngs to improve our shop capacity.
On 21 Jan 2006 19:13:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's easy, I keep the books. :-)
Actually, both my wife and myself abhor debt and neither of us are going to do anything to screw up the budget. We both spend money on our hobbies, but neither of us let it get out of hand.

Take her out for dinner and drinks, and you've spent half the price of a great new plane.
OR get a big beach towel, a bottle of something sweet-smelling and smooth from Bath and Body Works and give her a candlelight rubdown. Odds are you'll not only save money toward the plane, you'll reap a short-term benefit as well ! Repeat as required.
They have a marvelous sandalwood scent....
On 21 Jan 2006 19:13:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Divorced 8-)

Someone stole both my Stanley router planes a few years ago. I've got an ECE, but will have to look into the Veritas.