What are the clips called for holding a tabletop to the frame?

I Googled table top clips and didn't get anything that looked like those Z or S shaped metal clips that slide into a dado and then screw onto the bottom side of the table top. What's the correct nomenclature? I had a sudden change in plans late today during assembly of my oak desk. I was gonna glue the top to the frame, then thought better of it!

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Tabletop clips.

I got a couple of packages of these from Woodcraft. But lots of places sell them.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Laz,

if he had truly checked google he would have found the first two entries were what he was after (using "table top clips" as keywords). If he had scrolled down the page he'd have found a lot more. He can't have checked google.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Come on Greg. This is Tail Gunner Dave we're talking about. If he was interested in "table top clips" , he probaly typed in "metal things to hold a the top part of a table from coming off" + "most expensive" or some such.

Reply to
PM6564

OBWW, who uses them anyway? I find it's easier to cut up some buttons on the bandsaw (

Reply to
Groggy

Well there you go. What are you doing assuming that TGD actually uses his tools to *make* things?

Want some OBWW? How's about dis:

It was my g.g. grandfather's sawmill in Wayne or Madison County, MO. Those are gen-u-ine Missour Mules pulling those loads and (from the sapwood/heardwood contrast) at least one in 5 of those logs are walnut. I'm only 2 hours (and about 100 years) away from there.

Reply to
PM6564

actually I DID google and I reviewed the first 100 of 55,000 hits and didn't see what I was looking for, nor when I did "z" clip which is what I thought they were called. thanks for no help. I'll check Woodcraft.

Just found them in Woodcraft - 2 bucks EACH! worth about 28 cents. and I want them tomorrow, so that isn't gonna work. they just call them table top fasteners. I'll forage around in the hardware section of HD or OSH...

If you EVER ask what something is called, I'll be sure to make disparaging remarks.

dave

PM6564 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

You mean these:

?(Watch the word wrap of course)

Boy you really do overpay. They're not worth about 28 cents each. They're worth about 19.9 cents each. (see the little note that says "bag of 10"?)

What do you call the corn that's in a big turd?

Reply to
PM6564

I'll post a few pictures when the desk is done so you can have a few more laughs. You and your ilk really crack me up with your superior attitudes. Kinda makes me ashamed to be associated, even in a peripheral, adversarial way, with any of you. For the time being I'll refer to you bozos as knuckle draggers in lie of miscreants.

Not enough of you watched "Sledgehammer" to know what the hell I've been talking about.

BTW, where do you guys find room for a shop in a double-wide, anyway?

dave

PM6564 wrote: snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Mines in the basement

PM6564

HA! My bad!@ They are indeed a bag of 10. In the catalog the print is so small I didn't see "bag of 10". I was being generous when I said they were worth 28 cents... but I still want to get something tomorrow morning so I'll browse HD. Maybe they will surprise me and have them. and I'd even pay 28 cents a piece if I have to! :)

ah, a corn dog!

dave

PM6564 wrote:

?>

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

LMAO! looks like it's ready for a 100 year flood! what a kick!

did you get that from Google Images? wish I had a fast connection so I could do faster picture searches. It takes longer than my patience to pull up a whole screen of images in Google.

dave

PM6564 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

The correct nomenclature is "plough". A dado goes across the grain.

If I were you, which fortunately is not the case, I'd use crazy glue and sixteen penny galvy sinkers applied with a waffle head rocket hammer.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Aha! Never knew that, always thought of it as a kerf in the apron, thanks Tom.

Even Paddy's Shellac gets a mention here:

on top attachment (including *why*) here:
and here:
here:

fact, with a purty PM type BS or a Unisaurus you might even be able to cut some blocks just like they show in the pics.

Reply to
Groggy

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Of course, we thoroughly modern types do indeed make a kerf - with our biscuit joiner - for the clip to rotate into.

Reply to
George

and sixteen penny galvy sinkers applied with a waffle head rocket hammer.

While I was in college back on the 60's I worked in a Pier 1 store, my job was to assemble "dinning" tables imported from Mexico. The used 3" long wood screws with slotted heads...I found a 20 oz claw hammer made fast work of assembly...

Reply to
Rumpty

They are called "buttons." I make them from scrap hardwood and hold in place with a one screw. There's another kind of fastener you can buy that looks like an "8." Using screw slots instead of a special fastener works too.

Reply to
Phisherman

Liar. You did nothing of the kind. I just Googled for "table top clips" and the _very_first_one_ in the list (of 252 hits, not fifty-five thousand) is what you're looking for. The same search, without the quotation marks, returns over 350,000 hits, but the _first_ one is still the same.

Dolt. That's two bucks for a bag of TEN.

Good luck finding them at HD.

How much imagination does it take to suppose that "the clips for holding a tabletop to the frame" might be called "table top clips"?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Of course, you thoroughly modern types use the metal clips, which will fit in said kerf, as intended by Ikea, rather than using wooden buttons, as intended by god.