What are the best kitchen counter materials

Page 4 of 4

I would say Quartz. Of all the quartz brands, the Cambria palette is the most versatile and appealing(to me). http://www.cambriausa.com/collection.cfm
On 5/5/2011 9:56 AM, Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Rob nailed it ...
As far as using more than one material, that can really take it out of the realm of ordinary. An example is an ultra modern kitchen we're just finishing up that has two colors of 3/4" Caesar Stone, 2 1/4" John Boos end grain maple butcher block, and a laminate back splash.
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5603375169640816674
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Dear Penthouse:
I never thought something like this would ever happen to me, but every time I look at Swing's kitchen pictures, I get a woody when I get to the shot of the gas range. Should I consult my therapist?

What does she look like? And does she share your fetish with avant garde kitchens?
On Thu, 5 May 2011 16:42:09 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Dear Toy:
Forget the therapist. Just get the plumber to plumb your own gas hose, with LARGE outlet. <wink>
P.S: Send pics soon. We're doing a kinky gay/bi pictorial in 2 months.
The Editor.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Awesome, Karl!
--
Best regards
Han

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5603375169640816674 KC:
I'll confess: you did super.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

What finish did you use on the cabinets?
Although I must confess that, unlike Rob, I don't get much of a woody over the kitchen appliances.
L.

Salivate as I might over that stove, it isn't practical in my 8x13 ft kitchen, with 3 doors.
--
Best regards
Han
On 5/5/2011 10:52 PM, Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Sanding sealer, primer, + coats enamel, sprayed on the cabinet boxes (A-1 Birch); and the doors/drawer fronts (Temple-Inland's UltraStock MDF). The paint job in the kitchen alone was right at $5k ... lotsa prep/between coats work.
I'm impressed with this particular mdf, which I would normally run the other way using in a kitchen. It's advertised as "water resistant" but I immersed a cutoff in a bucket of water for the better part of two days and it came out the same as it went in ... hell, the best hardwood plywood would not of stood up to that treatment. Heavy though, required three hinges on each cabinet door.
> Although I must confess that, unlike Rob, I don't get much of a woody > over the kitchen appliances.
That Capital Gas Range weighs in at over 600lb ... you try not to move it once installed (I rigged up a rolling platform with two big furniture dolly's to get it from the curb into the kitchen, but it still took six of us).
USA made, like they used to make things, it is a precision piece of equipment. No shortcuts in the manufacturing and the 'fit and finish' is something your rarely see these days, like a fine piece of furniture. One of the wow factors is that you can put a burner on low heat, lay a piece of paper on it and it won't catch on fire.
You gotta be a cook to appreciate what a cooking machine this thing is ... and it's not wasted on the husband, a private banker whose passion is cooking.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Boyoboyoboy!!! With that kind of control a barnaise sauce 'ribbon' would be a snap. I file the recipe for that sauce under 'Coronary sauces'
I don't really have the space for it either, so my 30" NG range with a gas-fired convection oven will have to do.
Still, a guy can dream, wot?

Amazing. Does it cost accordingly?

Yeah, it's always fun to move something like that around on brand new flooring.

That's a Wow! Factor, alright, and it's why I much prefer a gas stove over an electric.

Very good.
-- I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar and often convincing. -- Oscar Wilde

Concrete. They do it all the time on the DIY channel.
-Zz
solid GOLD is the best,but it is a little pricey right now.
Len
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message

Concrete. They do it all the time on the DIY channel.
-Zz
: Arborite/Formical/High pressure laminate? : Solid surface a la Corian or others? : Paperstone? : Wood - vertical "real" butcher block or horizontal laminations? What : wood if not maple? : Stone (granite, marble)? : Others I missed?
I'm a big fan of laminate. In our new kitchen we're using gray laminate countertops from Ikea. Look great, really easy to keep clean, totally non-absorbent, etc. I'll be building a rolling cart with a butcherblock top, at some point.
-- Andy Barss