What applicator for polyurethane?

What should I use to apply polyurethane to some oak hollow core doors?
The original doors in the house were sprayed with lacquer. I talked to the painter who did them, and he isn't interested in spraying just five doors. He recommended water-borne poly as an alternative.
The last time I used poly, I used disposable foam brushes, but I have no idea if those are best or not.
Brian Elfert

Poly can be sprayed, foam brushed, and you can even get wipe-on poly u... It's a personal preference really. I mostly foam brush, but ensure a nice flat surface by sanding to begin with for best results with foam brushing and apply a couple of coats with a light sanding in between.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - WoodHaven Biscuit Master - Veritas Saddle Square - EZ Smart Guide System - Ryobi EBS1310VK Belt Sander - Incra V27 Miter Gauge - GMC BJ110 Biscuit Joiner ------------------------------------------------------------
<much snippage> This is how I laid down a lot of poly with a minimum of effort. It worked for me anyway.
During construction of our home last year I Minwax stained and polyurethaned approx 150 lineal feet of 6x12 beams, 250 lineal feet of 6x6 beams and at least a gazillion lineal feet of 1x4 and 1x6 trim (baseboard, door frame and windows) all in white pine.
I rolled every inch using smooth 4" and 6" rollers and then back brushed using a bristle brush to smooth and remove bubble craters. 1 coat of stain, 2 coats of satin (sanding between coats) and a final coat of of semi-gloss.
All the pine beams and trim combined with white oak floors really looks nice and homey with a "log cabin" feel.
regards; tlc...

How about a real paintbrush?

For the best finish, you just cant beat a quality brush.

What is the best way to clean a real brush after using it with waterborne poly?
Brian Elfert
Warm water. I use a bit of detergent and rinse, rinse, rinse. I seldom get WB on a brush, but when I do, I don't let it dry. It's tough to get dried WB out.
Dave
Brian Elfert wrote:

Brian Elfert wrote:

Water works :)
--
dadiOH
____________________________
Brian Elfert wrote:

Soap and water work fine for me.
On interior doors, brushing the first coat, lightly sanding it and then wiping with a rag dampened with the finish for two or three other coats seemes to do a good job.
--

FF

Preconditioning brushes with the proper solvent prior to use makes them stay limber instead of stiffening as the finish dries near the ferrule. and MUCH easier to clean. Big slab like a door would be ideal for pads and small tray for finish.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

With the surface (of door) flat.
--
dadiOH