What am I looking for?

This is not really a woodworking question but the range of knowledge in this group gives me confidence that someone here will know the product I'm looking for. I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover. Somewhere I read of a product to do this. It was somewhat along the line of a suspended ceiling but attached directly to existing sheetrock and only lowered the ceiling height by an inch or two. Does this ring a bell to someone and could you give me some pointers as to what to look for? Thanks for your time.
"I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover . . ." ". . . attached directly to existing sheetrock "
"Why?" is the first question that comes to mind.
"Why not," quickly follows, "replace the drywall?"
"What is the objective," or "final result / "look" you are trying to achieve?" follows on quickly

It occurs to me that it might be useful for running something such as speaker wires across a room when the alternative is to have them open snaking around a room possibly across a door entrance or eliminating the effort to bury them in the wall somewhere.

http://www.ceilinglink.com /
That's exactly what I was thinking of. Knew you guys would come through, Thanks.

Sounds like ordinary ceiling tile. Staples or glues directly to either a ceiling in sound shape or lath strips if the ceiling is in dodgy physical condition.
Yes though I was thinking it was planks somewhat like a laminate floor. I did just now find it at Lowes. They call it, of all things, ceiling planks. :) Thanks for the help. I'll look into the tile too. There is nothing structurally wrong with the existing ceiling except some dumba** blew on popcorn. Rather than go trough the process of refinishing, I am looking at alternatives.

"dumba** blew on popcorn"
Texturing like popcorn is used to hide small defects in the drywall ceiling. Its cheaper to finish that way.
Have you priced a professional refinishing job?
Good idea to establish that cost as a base to compare alternatives to.

CW wrote:

The popcorn comes off pretty easily if it hasn't been painted over.
http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/faq11.html
http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na/ceilings/en/us/browse.asp?type=type&shapeId=3
Ceilings and Ceiling Tile Systems by Armstrong: Ceiling Selector Plank Ceilings
a.. Attach directly to existing ceiling b.. Available in 6" x 48", 5" x 78" or 5" x 84" tongue-and-groove designs c.. No grid system, resulting in a cleaner look d.. Virtually no loss in ceiling height
Installing Plank Ceilings http://www.armstrong.com/content2/resam/files/18790.pdf
Planks can be installed with furring strips, directly to your current ceiling, or using the Armstrong Easy-Up Installation Kit.

Useful links. Thanks.

http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na/ceilings/en/us/browse.asp?type=type&shapeId=3

I recently ordered Armstrong ceiling planks. Soon to be installed.

"I recently ordered Armstrong ceiling planks. Soon to be installed." Just like the corner pool hall
stamped tin