What A Mess and then some...

Background: Some time ago, I bought an old rent house and have been remodeling it, for a woodshop. The front center section was once a recessed porch

which I incorporated into the interior for more shop space. The roof of the porch wasn't sloped much and the temporary roofing developed a serious leak. Last week I decided to fix the problem.

I removed the old shingles and decking, reframed that whole front area, with greater slope, added new decking, there, and to the adjacent gable slopes, then shingled anew. During demolition, with the roof off, I got stormed on... rained all inside the shop. Lots of stuff got wet, but nothing ruined, I don't think.

entertainment center, under construction, got soaked and has developed water marks. In the past, I have removed similar water marks, from mahogany window sills, by rubbing/washing with mineral spirits, but haven't had a chance to clean up this cherry cabinet, yet, so not sure if mineral spirits will work on this project. Any recommendations?

It was hot as hell, working on the roof. My nephew came to help. Monday, I became so hot & exhausted, I went to the ER to get checked out. I'm fine, but it gave me a scare, since I've had serious med. issues in the past. The work took 5 days from start to finish. Now, I'm taking my time cleaning up all the demolition and interior mess/ debris.

This hasn't been a fun job, but I'm glad to get this repair & this part of the remodel completed. *The new shingles are mis-matched, i.e., discount shingles.... the bundles were returns (to Lowes) from previous roofing jobs and I got them for $7 a bundle, as opposed to $25 per bundle, otherwise. I don't need matching shingles for the shop, at least not now.

I'm going to enjoy relaxing this weekend, not having to rush with anything. I don't think I have worked this hard in a long time. It feels good to be cleaning up, after all this work. I can, now, see and appreciate how things are getting back into some semblance of order and organization.

....And it's good to see Google has fixed our connection, to this forum, problem. I was feeling abandoned. LOL.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

My hat is off to you for not being afraid to take on such a big project! Just curious, and it's none of my concern, but don't you have to pay higher property axes for a 2nd house which is not a primary residence (because you wouldn't get a "homeowners exemption" on the 2nd house)? Maybe the exemption is an Indiana thing, I'm not sure. I didn't post to mention that though--best of luck on your project

Bill

The roof of the porch wasn't sloped much and the temporary

Reply to
Bill

I like that one!

"property axes"

------------ "Bill" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com... My hat is off to you for not being afraid to take on such a big project! Just curious, and it's none of my concern, but don't you have to pay higher property axes for a 2nd house which is not a primary residence (because you wouldn't get a "homeowners exemption" on the 2nd house)? Maybe the exemption is an Indiana thing, I'm not sure. I didn't post to mention that though--best of luck on your project

Reply to
Josepi

I've always had the homestead exemption in force and I joined the 2 properties (making it one) when I bought the lot next door. The property tax was increased, when I joined the 2 properties. We are assessed every 4 years, so the taxes may very well go up, again, after the next assessment. I think Louisiana has some of the lowest property taxes in the nation.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Mais cher ... they just learned about dem new fangled calculators day before yesterday, give'em time! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Dude, I'm impressed! Your obvious self reliance, something that used to be very common in that part of the world due to its rural nature, is laudable.

Lache pas la patate, cher!

Reply to
Swingman

Have anything to do with being swamp land, alligators, and sinking into the GoM?

I've always had the homestead exemption in force and I joined the 2 properties (making it one) when I bought the lot next door. The property tax was increased, when I joined the 2 properties. We are assessed every 4 years, so the taxes may very well go up, again, after the next assessment. I think Louisiana has some of the lowest property taxes in the nation.

Sonny

Reply to
Josepi

No, I think it has more to do with Louisiana's governance being more deeply rooted in Cannon Law, as opposed to English Common Law. We aren't sinking into the gulf (yet!), we're being washed away by erosion. Only Lake Peigneur sunk .... into a salt mine:

Sonny

Too much greed sucking the petroleum out of the dirt and puttin' nothin' back in. Y'all need to stuff some garbage down them there holes with a compactor and hope it spits out some of that there petroleum for the next generation (kin, that is...not them there power makers)

Reply to
Josepi

Mais yeah. Das what I was saying the whole time I was cleaning up, today... Laud! Laud! Laud! What a mess.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny