Wet or Dry Sandpaper Multi-grit pack?

Page 1 of 2
I've got a granite block and am set to try the "Scary Sharp" sharpening technique on my planes and chisels.
I'll evidently require most of the standard grits of Wet or Dry (silicon carbide) Sandpaper between 100 and 1200 (or so).
I obviously don't need box of 50 sheets of 100 grit, and 50 sheets of 150 grit, etc. (at $17.95 a box...).
Can anyone refer me to a site (or store) where I will be able to buy several grits in a package (like 100, 150, 220), or (320, 500, 800), or by the sheet, or any other way that makes more sense for my present needs.
Thank you, Bill

No ideas for pre-built kits. Try a good auto parts store, a body shop or an auto-body shop supplier. Make nice with the folks at a body shop and they'll possibly help you out.
hex -30-

Try
http://www.abrasivesplus.com
They do mixed packs of most things.
Norman Billingham wrote:

Looks like a nice site (in England). Maybe they have a U.S. counterpart?

Any good hardware store (Lowes and Home Depot don't count) will sell individual sheets. If none of those around, go to an auto parts store.
CW wrote:

You'd be hard pressed to find anything finer than 400 grit at any of the Borg's in my area. The auto parts store is a better idea. Look in the automotive painting supplies section of the store.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Yes, At Menards, the ONLY sheets of wet or dry sandpaper in stock were 400 grit. Thanks, Bill

That's what I said, read it again.
At what grit do you start using a lubricant, and what do you use?
--
Nonny

Nonny wrote:

I use water when I get to the Wet/Dry grits.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:33:02 -0800, the infamous "CW"

The last time I looked, Blowes had 330 and HD 400 grit as their finest papers. <shrug>
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Last time I looked to, that's why I said that.

Best bet will be to go to a "auto PAINT" supplier.
I get sheets of sandpaper in a multi pack at HFT. After the snow, I will try to get to my garage, find the grits and SKU. Maybe 100, 150, 600 (800?), 1200, 1600?? I used mine to polish nails for pine wood derby cars.
Mike in Ohio
Bill wrote:

This looks like a nice consumer-friendly source for sandpaper, with a broad range of choices, in case anyone else is interested. It was not particularly easy to find, so I suggest that you save the link if you may need it.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/E814FCD0/mac/subgrp.mac/subGroupSelection?lenGrpDsc=6SHEETSABRASIVE%20SHEETS-%20ALL%20SIZES
Their owning corporation makes the adhesive backed paper which is in the sharpening kits sold by Rockler. Bythe way, at least one writer describing the "Scary Sharp" system was negative about this advesive backed paper since it was not of uniform thickness. He wrote that soaking the "wet or dry" paper in water for an hour or two and then using the "capillary action" of the water was sufficient.
I have one question: in some versions of "Scary Sharp", like on a Woodsmith episode (repeat) I recently watched, they start off with 80 and 120 grit of Aluminum Oxide sandpaper and then move to Silicon Carbide paper. What is the advantage of starting with Aluminum Oxide--is it a "kinder and gentler" abrasive compound???
Bill
"Bill" wrote:

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/E814FCD0/mac/subgrp.mac/subGroupSelection?lenGrpDsc=6SHEETSABRASIVE%20SHEETS-%20ALL%20SIZES
---------------------- My primary supplier.
Very competitive if you meet $50 minimum per order, otherwise not so good.
Lew

I assume you mean because of the "$7.99 flat shipping fee" (I did not see "$50 minimum order" anywhere, but I have not completed my order yet either). The paper I anticipate ordering came to $34 for 45 sheets with grits 80 to 2000. $7.99 shipping still keeps it under $1 sheet. If I run accross a better source, I'll post it. It's nice to know you have some experience with them Lew.
Bill
Bill wrote:

Go by any chain auto parts store (Advanced Auto Parts, Autozone, NAPA, Pep Boys, etc) and they should have sandpaper in 5 sheet packs going up to 2000 grit or so for about 5 bucks a pack. It's a standard 3M packaging and any store that sells 3m wet or dry should have them.
I buy from : http://www.woodworkingshop.com /
The paper is cloth and some paper - and is sealed resin. Quality belts, sheets. They have boxes of short rolls. When a master roll that makes sanding belts is short - it is sold in boxes at good prices. Fine and medium is best. Large grits in medium and large.
Martin