West Oak Woodworking

Howdy group, Thought I'd ask youse all a question here. I was just trying to find West Oak Woodworking on the old web thing. Their url used to be wow-woodworking.com Google still gives many links with this addy. I get a "We can't find this" or what we used to call a 404 error when I try the links. Any clue as to where to find them on the web? Thanks for the help. Best Regards, Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

Beej, I spent some time looking for Rob West and West Oaks Woodowrking, too. No luck. He seems to have disappeared. I even tried a personal search in the Des Moines, IA area with no success. Have you got one of his spacer fence things?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hi Dave, Thanks for the reply. I do have one of the spacer fence kits that I got at a woodworking show I went to here at the Gwinnett County Civic Center. It was a couple of years ago, but the video I was reviewing last week made mention of a mortise and tenon jig he was coming out with. I was going to see if it had made it to production and distribution. They have moved the venue for the Woodworking Show here in Atlanta and I have not gone since they did. By the way, if you don't have one, and want something almost the same, I have an idea for you. The fellows who do the router work shop on television from Canada offer the same thing. As Rob has, though it may be at a slightly higher price and they make you pay for the video that Rob threw into his deal. Here is a link to there commercial site:

and for their router workshop site:
have merchandise on offer there as well. Hope this helps. BTW if you need to know what comes in the kit from Rob, holler back and I'll provide the info for you. That way you will know what to look for. Sorry to be so long winded! Later, Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

Beej, I've got one of Rob's spacer fence kits. Kind of a big waste of money for me. I don't think I've ever actually made a project with it. Actually, the latest American Woodworker magazine came in the mail the other day (so it is probably the July 2006 issue. :) ) and there is a very similar jig in there to make.

The bed on the one in the AW magazine is plywood with a groove down its length. Then you make a pusher sort of thing with a key that fits in the slot and a second key for positioning the work similar to most box joint jigs.

One of the problems with Rob's is it is too short for my table and router insert plate.

I remember Rob talking about a mortise and tenon jig and wondered what became of it and him. Seems to me at one time he did some jig work for ShopNotes and Woodsmith magazines. They might be able to help you out with tracking him down.

Reply to
Dave

Hi Dave, Yes it is kind of funny how they do the magazine issue dates isn't it. It kind of irks me about our woodworking magazines do us. You pay somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 or more dollars and then you get at most seven issues. But then, they know we are like junkies in a way. We gotta feed our sawdust Jones. It is really funny how Rob just seems to have fallen off the planet. I'll try the mags you suggested. WTH, it couldn't hurt, right? Thanks for the ideas. Cheers, Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA