Well, there's your problem...

The other day I was using my Grizzly edge sander, and when I shut it off it just kept right on going. So I head over to the Grizzly website to order a new switch, and the parts index points me to a stock switch regularly sold on the website. The switch is rated for

10 amps. The motor is rated for 20/10 amps 110/220. Well, there's your problem...

So I look in the manual and the current version on the website says to wire the saw for 110 you need to replace the switch. It also says the motor is 16/8 amps which is more realistic. I go back to the manual that came with mine and it doesn't say anything about replacing the switch, just to contact Grizzly about it.

Wonder how many switches they replaced under warranty before they changed the manual...

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

But they saved 24¢ a unit by using the cheaper switch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:01:06 -0600, Ed Pawlowski wrote (in article ):

Inductive loads (motors) are hell on switch contacts.

-BR

Reply to
Bruce

============================== Which is why electrical control manufacturers build devices called "Motor Starters".

The motor starter contacts may have the same current carrying rating as their relay brethren; however, the motor starter contacts are specifically rated to handle motor inrush current while the relay contacts aren't.

Same applies to manual devices.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett