Welding Plexiglass

It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------

Reply to
spaco

When I worked in an architectural model shop, we used acetone. Probably a lot easier to get than either ether or chloroform.

RicodJour

The solvent is MEK which you can get at Home Depot or Lowes or any other good hardware store.

Reply to
Sam Soltan

We did it with methyl ethyl ketone (MEK).

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

We did it with methyl ethyl ketone (MEK).

Reply to
Rick Samuel

"Rick Samuel" wrote

Most everything is dangerous. Having the MSDS sheet does not make it less so.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Exactly, an MSDS functions largely to indemnify the manufacturer/supplier/employer. In science you get problems with jumping through ridiculous hoops when handling miniscule quantities of things once in a blue moon yet you have to work as though you are pouring 44 gallon drums of it around 24/7. Of course half the problem is these things often get enforced by administrators who do not have the requisite understanding.

/rant over. ;-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

So's my Harley. Life's that way sometimes.

Reply to
CW

Have you ever read the disclaimers at the end of an MSDS? It basically says, we believe this information to be true, but we are in no way responsible for anyone relying on the information contained herein. Comforting, no?

Maybe I'll revise my contract... Price not to exceed $XXXXX, unless I feel like increasing the amount without providing an explanation.

RicodJour

Ah that's just legal futureproofing. Means their legal eagle's family got to eat. Awww.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Now I know why your replies are always so short, CW... you're out of breath from pushing that Harley!

Reply to
Robatoy

We did it with methyl ethyl ketone (MEK).

Aren't all those things kinda dangerous around a welding torch?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Don't ether and chloroform both put you to sleep?

Reply to
asmurff

So are brake cleaner, paint thinner and remover. read the directions on the can and follow them, come on if you don't have a respirator you shouldn't be in any kind of a shop.

Reply to
asmurff

I duct tape my MSDS sheets over my face. The sheet protects my eyes and my lungs. One time, I fell down the stairs, 'cause the sheet was over my eyes.

**
**

B A R R Y

And my airplane...

**
**

B A R R Y

Yeah, I can only crash in two directions. You can do it in three. :)

Reply to
CW

Isn't that the truth? We had good ventilation but no MSDS sheet. Should I go break those welds apart now because I did it wrong?

OTOH, MEK sure worked well.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Hell, yes. That stuff is dangerous!