Welding Plexiglass

Page 1 of 2
It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.
Pete Stanaitis ---------------------

When I worked in an architectural model shop, we used acetone. Probably a lot easier to get than either ether or chloroform.
The solvent is MEK which you can get at Home Depot or Lowes or any other good hardware store.

spaco wrote:

We did it with methyl ethyl ketone (MEK).
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
MEK is dangerous, VENTILATION and the MSDS are needed. "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message wrote:<BR>&gt; It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.<BR><BR><BR><BR>We did it with methyl ethyl ketone (MEK).<BR><BR><BR><BR>-- <BR>Mortimer Schnerd, RN<BR>mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Most everything is dangerous. Having the MSDS sheet does not make it less so.

Exactly, an MSDS functions largely to indemnify the manufacturer/supplier/employer. In science you get problems with jumping through ridiculous hoops when handling miniscule quantities of things once in a blue moon yet you have to work as though you are pouring 44 gallon drums of it around 24/7. Of course half the problem is these things often get enforced by administrators who do not have the requisite understanding.
/rant over. ;-)
Peter
www.the-brights.net
On Jun 23, 10:17 am, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.ruk (Peter Ashby) wrote:

Have you ever read the disclaimers at the end of an MSDS? It basically says, we believe this information to be true, but we are in no way responsible for anyone relying on the information contained herein. Comforting, no?
Maybe I'll revise my contract... Price not to exceed $XXXXX, unless I feel like increasing the amount without providing an explanation.

Ah that's just legal futureproofing. Means their legal eagle's family got to eat. Awww.
Peter
www.the-brights.net

I duct tape my MSDS sheets over my face. The sheet protects my eyes and my lungs. One time, I fell down the stairs, 'cause the sheet was over my eyes.

I ordered two endmills and both come with msds sheets. hard to eat or breathe carbide endmills (G)
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:30:49 -0700, Steve knight

Look up W0600! <G>
<http://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/majors/msdsfiles/msdswater.htm

Yeah, at work, I order a lot of hardware and expendable supplies from MSC. about a year ago they started sending MSDS with drill bits of all things.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

No damn wonder, cher ... you've been applying them to the wrong end!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Isn't that the truth? We had good ventilation but no MSDS sheet. Should I go break those welds apart now because I did it wrong?
OTOH, MEK sure worked well.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Only if OSHA should learn of your misdeed <g>

So's my Harley. Life's that way sometimes.

Now I know why your replies are always so short, CW... you're out of breath from pushing that Harley!
<it's joke, dammit>
Dropped it today. Life sucks sometimes.

So are brake cleaner, paint thinner and remover. read the directions on the can and follow them, come on if you don't have a respirator you shouldn't be in any kind of a shop.
--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.