weird; noise annoys

Page 2 of 2
On 4/3/2012 8:20 AM, Russ Stanton wrote:

That doesn't explain the additive nature of the increase with two machines running, neither one being louder than the other, which I think is what his question was ... could have misunderstood the original question
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/3/2012 8:53 AM, Swingman wrote:

Could the hose be acting as a megaphone?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/3/12 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:

Might want to check everything for Oak Rust©.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
"Swingman" wrote
That doesn't explain the additive nature of the increase with two machines running, neither one being louder than the other, which I think is what his question was ... could have misunderstood the original question ********************************** Part of it does. The blades cutting though the rapidly moving air does not happen until you get both of them going at the same time.
-- Jim in NC
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/3/2012 9:39 PM, Morgans wrote:

That's certainly true, and if that is the case (which it most certainly is one of the components), then there should be a fairly specific frequency involved in the "siren/blow over a bottle" component of the overall sound, which lends itself even more to the additive/room acoustics theory ... particularly in light that the OP mentioned it was also noticeable in the living area above the shop.
A strong sine wave component added by your blade/air flow effect (with consistent air flow and blade rate) to the overall "noise" of both machines in the shop could certainly increase the overall SPL dramatically.
(I once recorded a "crystal bowl meditation" session for the wife of our local DA. She had a dozen different size crystal bowls that, when rubbed with her hands, would vibrate/resonate like wet wine glass rims, only much larger and louder. The additive effect (and standing wave generation) of these multiple bowls resonating in the room was enough to overdrive both the microphones, and the input of the console, to the point of necessitating strong compression be added to the chain, and could be heard, and felt, out in the parking lot ... virtually a "hands free" massage just being in the room. :) )
Safe to say there are a number of interacting components, both acoustic, mechanical, and environmental to the OP's phenomenon.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010