Weight of old Unisaw?

I just found an old Unisaw, advertised in the local paper and of course had to buy it! I will be picking it up in a day or so, and was wondering if anyone knows the weight. I have to decide to bring a small trailer I have, or load it in the pickup. The saw is an old one with a big 110 volt motor, and 2 cast table extensions.Am I kidding myself, I have to pick it up tomorrow, so I can start playing with it. I mean setting it up!! Thanks for any info.
sailor wrote:

I forgot to ad, the guy selling it found it in a house he bought to remodel!!!
sailor wrote:

I'm not sure of the exact weight, only to say my old one (made around 2000) was damned heavy. When I had to put it on the mobile base (which I did by myself) I took the top & motor off to make it more manageable.
Dan
sailor wrote:

My cabinet saw is about 450 lbs. I'd say that's a reasonable ballpark.
You may want to remove the top for shipping. It's just held on by four bolts, and it is about a third of the weight of the saw.
Chris

I'd guess somewhere in the 400-500 pound range. As Chris said take the four bolts loose that hold the top on and you can remove it without even removing the fence. Then it can easily be handled using a two wheeled dolly. Removing the motor is also a good idea. I'd probably still use the trailer if the saw can be wheeled on to it. It will take at least two guys (with good backs) to lift the cabinet into a truck.
Mike O.
My Grizzly 1023s is a very similar saw and total weight is about 420 pounds, with fence. Take tools with you when you pick it up (and big friend). The fence, rails and wings are pretty easy to remove and that will probably reduce the weight by well over 100 pounds. A trailer, close to the ground, will make it easier to load and unload. Just tie it down well because it will be top heavy even with wings and fence hardware off.
BTW if you are going to put it on a mobile base this is the time to do it. Easier to lay it off of the trailer onto the base than have to lift it again.
RonB

'Unisaws' are cabinet saws with, generally speaking, 220v motors. The same manufacturer(s) make (made) various other, smaller. lighter weight tools. In either case, these can be moved in your pickup truck, with the right combination of levers, ramps, ropes and people.
At least we been able to move mine that way.
Find a copy of Kelly Mehler's Table Saw book, and have a read. Then enjoy!
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Not sure what that means. My Unisaw has the older bullet style RI motor that can be wired for 110 or 220. Instructions are right on the motor plate.

But the newer ones are all 220 with 3 or 5 HP
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Can't argue with that. However the OP's description of the saw as "an old one with a big 110 volt motor" made it sound as if it was one of the older saws ('1940s-1950's) with a RI (bullet style) motor that is in fact 110/220. 'Older' of course is a relative term.

Would you know when Delta changed from the cast iron base to the steel? Wonder what the weight comparison is between the two base versions.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Don't know for sure. Think it was sometime in the early 70's. The dreaded peace sign era when delta started cutting back.
You can probably find the answer for yourself if you search the owwm.org archives.
Congrats on the old arn
sailor wrote:

It's probably spitting on 500 pounds, fully assembled.
Take help, and take enough wrenches to lift the top off (one, really, but I don't recall what size the boltheads are, so take enough to work your way through 7/16" to possibly 5/8").
With two people, there's no need to remove the motor, but you should get some of that cling wrap stuff that comes in rolls, and strap it down so it can't bounce. A bit of Styrofoam between the motor and any metal can't hurt.
Enjoy.
sailor (in snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com) said:
| I just found an old Unisaw, advertised in the local paper and of | course had to buy it! | I will be picking it up in a day or so, and was wondering if anyone | knows the weight. I have to decide to bring a small trailer I have, | or load it in the pickup. | The saw is an old one with a big 110 volt motor, and 2 cast table | extensions.Am I kidding myself, I have to pick it up tomorrow, so I | can start playing with it. I mean setting it up!!
It'll be heavy; but not more than a fit person can handle. Remove the top and load it separately. I moved mine alone (on a trailer) without mishap; but strongly suggest that you enlist a helper if you're using a PU. Do take some ratchet tie-downs and avoid potholes on the way home.
Congrats! Enjoy!