Weight of Glass per ft2?

I am in the process of building a maple frame for a vanity mirror (with the glass measuring approximately 38" x 50" x 3/16" thick). Since I've yet to buy the glass (it will be cut to fit the finished frame size), I am wondering just how heavy this whole affair will be. While I can guess the weight of wood portion, I am wondering if there is a website where one can find out the wieghts of various building materials.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Reply to
TEF

According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J. Glover (a great toolbox reference book by the way), window class has a specific gravity of 2.58, and weighs 161 pounds per cubic foot. It doesn't list any other types of glass but I can't see mirror glass being dramatically different than window glass.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"TEF" wrote

According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J Glover (2nd edition; ISBN

1-885071-00-0):

Page 431 ... Glass, window -- 161 pounds per cubic foot

Same book has a great deal of information regarding material properties, electrical data, conversion tables ... pretty much the answer to about

30-40% of the questions posted on the wreck.

you're welcome.

Regards,

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Heh. I know what you were doing while I was doing the same thing ;)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

get about 35 lbs for a piece that size

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

That puts his at about 33lb.

Reply to
Guess who

Did you try google? I googled for "glass density" and found several useful references. Short answer, 2200 to 7200 kg/m^3, depending on the exact type of glass.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Greetings,

What size of print does this book have? I start to loose interest when the font size drops below 10 pts and loose complete interest below 8 pts.

From Amazon: Product Details

  • Paperback: 768 pages * Publisher: Sequoia Publishing Inc; 3rd edition (May 1, 2002) * ISBN: 1885071337 * Product Dimensions: 5.4 x 4.2 x 1.0 inches * Shipping Weight: 6.9 ounces. (View shipping rates and policies) * Average Customer Review: based on 35 reviews. (Write a review) * Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3,658 in Books (Publishers and authors: improve your sales)

Sincerely, Bill Thomas

Reply to
Bill Thomas

of it is 8 point or less. While it is small to sit and read, there is a lot of good reference material crammed into a small space. Type size is tolerable for a quick lookup of a pipe size or airport code, electric motor frame sizes, or many other varied subject. Mine is always within reach of my desk at home.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

29 (proportional) characters in an inch where I just measured. Smaller than 8-point, definately. But it's a clear font, should magnify well if needed.

I've seen these at checkout counters in better hardware stores. Maybe one of your local places has them, you could look it over. I use mine regularly, and have one at work and two at home.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It's not the kind of book you read cover to cover. It's like the CRC Handbook or Machinery's Handbook--you look up the information you need when you need it. Point size doesn't matter for that kind of book. My Oxford English Dictionary has text in a point size so small that they provide a magnifier with the dictionary--it's not an obstacle to its use as a dictionary.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I want to say that the pocket ref is also available in a desktop (ie, larger with bigger fonts) edition

John

Reply to
John

about 5.7 points or 2 mm

Rick

Reply to
Rick

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:26:59 GMT, the inscrutable Bill Thomas spake:

Looks like 33.19 lbs for the mirror portion, huh?

Teensy. GET NEW GLASSES, silly!

Lee Valley puts out a handyman's version of that book (with the same teeny print, of course) called "Handyman In-Your-Pocket" which is great; chock full of fun.

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

so 3/16ths thick would be about 2 1/2 pounds per square foot.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I came up with 1.54 lbs for 3/16" x 12" x 12" if it is 161 #/CF.

DanG

Nope, it is 2.5156pounds for 3/16 x 12 x 12 at 161pound per cubic foot

John

Reply to
John

That's correct. [Top posted, so you'll have to look below for the reference :-)]

It's the 3/16 fraction of an inch, being 1/12 fraction of a foot, the top being a square foot. ....161 x (3/16) /12.

Reply to
Guess who