Weekend Woodcraft Mag - out of business?

They cancelled a contract with me saying they're going out of business, but their web site doesn't look like it. They're still accepting new subscriptions, too. Beware & don't renew. I've seen other magazines go out of business & rarely received my money back. Usually they just disappear & the amount is too small to make it worth going after.

Reply to
Jim

Better if possible to buy subscriptions through a subscription company that offers other choices. I had that happen to me with Windows magazine. Dial America made it good by either a pro-rated refund or a longer subscription to another magazine.

Reply to
Leon

Would that happen to be this website?

like the perfect mag for a beginner.

Reply to
AAvK

Leon, that was one of the examples I was thinking of. I still follow some of Windows magazine's old staff writers. They had some of the best.

Yes, Alex, that's the one. Personally, I don't think it was a great magazine. It never describes the tricks of the trade - just tells you to do something. Not so good for a beginner, IMO.

I have since received an email from the editor. He is no longer employed by the publisher & the magazine is definitely out of circulation according to him. He provided me information to go after my kill fee. The publisher, EGW, is really playing dirty, though. The kill fee on my article isn't a big deal, but still taking new subscriptions is not cool.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

That is all pretty sad then. A mag that is low on genuine technique under a dirty money grubbing company... thanks for the tip on not to subscribe.

Reply to
AAvK

Yes, Alex, that's the one. Personally, I don't think it was a great magazine. It never describes the tricks of the trade - just tells you to do something. Not so good for a beginner, IMO.

I have since received an email from the editor. He is no longer employed by the publisher & the magazine is definitely out of circulation according to him. He provided me information to go after my kill fee. The publisher, EGW, is really playing dirty, though. The

kill fee on my article isn't a big deal, but still taking new subscriptions is not cool.

Well, I guess I can cancel my own contract there. I was doing an article for them, but seems like it won't need to be finished.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Funny, that is who called me last night wanting me to re-subscribe to Weekend Woodcraft even though its been well over a year since I let my subscription expire.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
John DeBoo

John DeBoo responds:

If it was not a 'great' rag, how come you were writing an article for them? Just curious, not trying to start a flame war.

Since that wasn't my expressed opinion, why ask me that question?

Reply to
Charlie Self

John, I got a subscription to it somehow & since it was coming to the house, I read it. I happened to see they wanted projects & happened to have one I thought they'd be interested in. Turns out they were. I don't write articles for a living, it was just something fun to do with my hobby. I'd never done an article before & doubt I'll do another any time soon. It was a lot of work for very little pay. It was an interesting experience, though.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Ahh, I see the error. You don't have any special characters automatically inserted to distinguish your text from someone elses 'quote', nor your name so it looked like it was all yours. sorry... John

Reply to
John DeBoo

So I guess they were trying to get you to re-up.

I deal with Dial America through the internet. Since using this method I do not recall them calling me.

Reply to
Leon

How does a rag become great? Hiring great writers.

Reply to
Leon

John DeBoo responds: ">If it was not a 'great' rag, how come you were writing an article for

Ahh, I see the error. You don't have any special characters automatically inserted to distinguish your text from someone elses 'quote', nor your name so it looked like it was all yours. sorry..."

The joys of using Google.

Reply to
Charlie Self

John, IMO, a rag becomes great when makes me want to read every page or at least look closely at it. Weekend Woodcraft never did that for me, although I liked some of their stuff. The magazine was very project oriented, so if you didn't like the end result, it wasn't worth reading the article. There wasn't anything in there about particular problems or techniques, just cut piece A & glue it to B. Cut on the dotted line... Not my cup of tea. I've been doing this long enough that I like general ideas or specific solutions to tough issues. A discussion on 6 ways to mount a piece of glass into a box lid is interesting to me. How to build a box isn't.

As for you hiring great writers, I think you've got a task Diogenes wouldn't envy. Great writers are few & far between - so are competent woodworkers that can clearly explain their techniques. Putting the two together leaves you pretty slim pickings. Further reduce the number to those who can make it interesting & are interested in doing so... well, it's a wonder, but there actually are a couple. Roy Underhill comes to mind. Steve Blenk who writes the lathe column for Wood magazine seems to be another.

Personally, I found that one article I wrote to be way more work than it was worth. It's my hobby, so I'd rather 'do' than fiddle with taking pictures & trying to get the words perfect so they can fit into a small space & are understood. I write a fair amount in my job, mostly documenting & specifying applications & devices for computer network systems. My subject matter is dry, audience is small & I interact with them often, so I can correct misunderstandings quickly. I find that difficult enough. I don't even try to make it interesting

- I don't have to, thank god. I can see it now, "The fun & interesting method for configuring the Symantec 4420 SSL VPN device for the company!" LOL

Jim

Reply to
Jim

The old editor of Weekend Woodcraft wrote me the following, thought you all might be interested...

From: Robert Joseph: "Linda and I are still trying to create a new magazine. However this magazine well be an on-line magazine where people will come and download their projects. We hope to have this up and running within the next six months. We hope that you'll stop by the web site and check it out. We well be offering the same type projects that were offered in Weekend Woodcrafts. You'll be able to find us

This site is still under construction. We'll notify you by email once the site is up and running. Please tell everyone you know."

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I replied to you last night, but it looks like it didn't take. A great magazine is one I want to read every page of. That means good writers & interesting topics. Weekend Woodcraft did projects that said to cut part A & part B, put together. I know how to do that. I'd be more interested in a discussion on 6 ways to use glass in a box top - I know how to build a box.

Jim

Reply to
Jim