Wednesday Auction

I see a No. 6 plane will be auctioned locally. It just says No. 6 in front of the knob. I couldn't locate any other proprietary marks (maybe it was made by Stanley for the Bridge Tool Co.)?

doesn't look as good as the one in the pic, but it appears to be the same model. There is a little rust on the edges of the bottom. I thought it might complement my #4, #5, and #8--though I read at Patrick's Blood and Gore page that it was sort of "redundant"--being a lighter weight jointer. It doesn't feel quite as good in my hand as my #8 for sure, it could just be the replacement handle. The screw in the knob appears to go down awful far too--like the knob needs to be replaced. Any comments about this plane? Remember that statement about not being able to have too many clamps? Maybe it applies to planes too? : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

In spite of Patrick's opinion of the #6, it's one of my favorite planes; probably the one I reach for most often. It just feels right in my hands; not *heavy* like a jointer, but with more heft than a standard #5 jack, which I think most people would reach for in the same circumstances.

It's hard to make a recommendation on whether you should snag that particular plane without knowing more about it; pictures would help. As far as it not feeling right in your hands, the shape of the tote could be a definite factor. Even if it's a Stanley original, there are many variations and I'm pretty particular about fitting all my planes with the variety I like best.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Thanks Steve. I think you are right. The shape of the handle is one of the reasons it doesn't feel quite right. I'll keep considering it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Re: subject line

How much is Pugsly requiring for an opening bid?

And, does Morticia know about this?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

No "maybe" about it.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Well, I submitted an "offer-range" which I believe will be enough.

I explained that I'm "collecting" them now, like antiques, and I expect that they are a good investment. Hardcopy of the Grizzly catalog arrived in the mail today.. : )

Reply to
Bill

I finally got it..... duhhh..... :)

Reply to
Bill

> > Bill

I secured the plane.

The old planes remind me that I won't walk the earth forever and represent some ideals that have value to me. They are grand.

That brings my collection to #4, #5, #6 and #8, so I'll be on the lookout for some of the shorter ones.

In case you may be in the market, I was surprised at how many different RubberMaid containers, with lids, they had at Meijer (major retailer). I bought one for about $10 that was 26" long and about 16" wide and about 5" high that should work well for storing the planes (and other similiarly-sized metal tools) inside in the winter. I'll just wrap each plane with cloth of some sort. I was pleased with the price and quality of the container, so I just thought I'd share that information.

Bill (trying to make the world a safer and neater place by gathering the planes that have been left behind...)

Reply to
Bill

I put at least a buck's worth of thought into that poem and no replies at all! ;) About 2 years ago, when my dad was dying of cancer in the hospital, I brought my new Groz handplane (in the box) on one of my visits with him to share what I was up to. I was reading Garrett Hack's fine plane book then and my dad enjoyed looking at that too. So I guess the moral is, like I was just informing my wife, "Keep track of where you put your tools, or they will be useless to you...". Thank you Dad.

Bill

Reply to
Bill