Wear on joiner blades

I have a grizzly g0500 8" joiner and noticed I get more wear on the blades in the first 3/4" of the blade. I'm sure this is from edge joining the boards. Should I move the planer fence from time to time to get a even wear or will this mess up a boards surface. I usually edge join first then surface the board on the joiner
Hi, Keith. Yes, occasionally move the jointer fence to distribute wear more evenly when edge jointing. You'd probably get a "truer" 90 if you face joint first, then edge joint. It puts a larger registering surface onto the jointer fence. Tom

I'm constantly moving the fence around just to avoid what you are experiencing.....and to avoid that little nick in the blade that always seems to appear just after sharpening.
Gary
GeeDubb wrote:

GeeDubb wrote:

Yes, keep moving the fence so that all areas of the blades get a chance of equal wear. I also shift the blades a little bit every now and then.