We're coming home!!!!!

Page 2 of 2
Well, I just wanted to say that we chose the Hickory area because we wanted to be close to a large city, but still have the peace and quiet of a rural area. Also, my son is now in Charleston learning to operate nuclear reactors for the Navy and he will in all probablilty be sent to the George W Bush when it is ready. That will be based in Norfolk. I have family in Pennsylvania (but I don't want that cold a winter) so we thought NC would be nice.
Plus, my great-great-grandfather and uncles fought for the South...:)
John

Fri, Dec 10, 2004, 1:21am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (MorrisDovey) says: <snip> When you answer that it's been your home for 20+ years, there's a reasonable chance that you /might/ be a committed community member (/might/ because you did, after all, leave the place you were before) <snip>
Actually, I retired from my last Army assignment here, it was in Raleigh. So you could say I just stayed. LOL Nice place, but a load of subdivisions going up all around. Still pretty nice tho, and I've always gotten along with the people here. Besides, my kids grew up here, so I'm not going far, if at all. Of course winter is hitting hard right now, supposed to be just around 70 degrees, with rain, tomrrow. LMAO
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss
JOAT notes:

Hell, I'm from NY, and I've been in this area of VA for over 27 years now. I'm told I still sound NY, but I'm not looking to return. I've done my moving.
But, then, my mother's family is VIrginian, has been since beforfe the Revolution, and, tales say, the first Self (spelled Selfe then, which is the way on SIL still spells it), landed in VA about 1653.
Might even be true. It still wouldn't shut up all these Scots-Irish Johnny Come Latelys who didn't get here until 1750s.
Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain
Charlie Self wrote:

Hey now!
Silvan responds:

Don't sweat it. The other part of my father's reputed family was waiting here to offer the first Selfe, and everyone else, the Indian's gift: a peace pipe full of that wonderful herb, tobacco. Talk about getting even in advance!
Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

First, if someone is from NY, or ANYWHERE west/south of the Hudson River, they CAN NOT be any kind of yankee!!!!!
Yankees come from New England state ONLY!!!!!!!!!
If they are from Rhode Island, Mass, Vermont, NH, or Maine, they may be referred to as yankees [never Yankees]. Only folks from Connecticut can be referred to as Yankees[PERIOD]!!!
Richard Schmidt
Richard Schmidt relates:

And you got this quaint concept where? You wanna talk to a Latin American about Yanquis, maybe? Or talk to someone from south of the Mason-Dixon Line?
Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain
Fri, Dec 10, 2004, 10:25am snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (RichardSchmidt) is apparently trying out for Last Comic Standing with: First, if someone is from NY, or ANYWHERE west/south of the Hudson River, they CAN NOT be any kind of yankee!!!!! Yankees come from New England state ONLY!!!!!!!!! If they are from Rhode Island, Mass, Vermont, NH, or Maine, they may be referred to as yankees [never Yankees]. Only folks from Connecticut can be referred to as Yankees[PERIOD]!!!
I stand corrected. You are absolutely, 100%, right. The correct usage would be, "Damn Yankee".
ROTFLMAO
JOAT Remember: Nova is Avon, spelled backwards.
Richard Schmidt wrote:

So all those folks in blue that mah granddaddy shot in the late unpleasantness were what? He sure thought they were "Yankees". No, I take that back--those guys were "damnyankees", which I was taught to believe was synonymous with "Yankees" but maybe I was mistaken.

--
--John
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:33:19 -0500, "J. Clarke"

So what were they, Dodger fans ?

tribe
4
The song, however, was definitely "aligned" - to the North!
Might want to look up the lyrics to "Dixie" if the pressure groups still allow it to be played.
Better brush up on what's been going on in NASCAR if you're going to be living in NC. My cousin in Raleigh tells me that they teach their children to count this way: One, two, Earnhardt....
Dick Durbin
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:01:10 +1300, "John Gilham/Patsy Scott"

Congrats, John!! If you were going to be closer to the left coast, we could get together and swap Aussie jokes.. *g*
Was wonderin' where you 'bin...congratulations!
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com