We're coming home!!!!!

Thu, Dec 9, 2004, 4:02pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (Morris=A0Dovey) says: BTW, yankeehood doesn't normally wear off and there's no known cure. (-8

With me, it's when people hear me, that don't know me. Then it's usually, "You're not from around here, are ya?". I tell 'em yep, from just up the road. That often throws them for a bit, then they usually say that wasn't what they meant, and ask where I originally came from. I tell 'em I was born and raised in MI, then spent 20 years in the Army, and been down here since '79. The usual response to that is, "I 'knew' you weren't from around here by the way you talked". Then we get along fine. The really funny part is when I went back to MI for my dad's funeral - everyone was telling me how I sounded so southern. LMAO

Now if we could just stop those people from NY and NJ from moving in down here and spoiling the neighborhood. Ask them where they're from and tkey'll always say NY, or NJ, just like they were visiting down here. Damn Yankees.

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Interesting point. Perhaps the real (underlying) question is actually: "Are you a committed community member/steward, or are you just here because you're not somewhere else?"

When you answer that it's been your home for 20+ years, there's a reasonable chance that you /might/ be a committed community member (/might/ because you did, after all, leave the place you were before) - an answer of NY or NJ would seem to deny that this is where home and heart are and imply: "I'm here because I'm not somewhere up north."

I've found that small town and rural areas of Minnesota and Iowa are much the same; and there's growing concern because here we have some of the most productive farm land in the *world* and it's being subdivided and paved over at an ever accelerating pace.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Well, I just wanted to say that we chose the Hickory area because we wanted to be close to a large city, but still have the peace and quiet of a rural area. Also, my son is now in Charleston learning to operate nuclear reactors for the Navy and he will in all probablilty be sent to the George W Bush when it is ready. That will be based in Norfolk. I have family in Pennsylvania (but I don't want that cold a winter) so we thought NC would be nice.

Plus, my great-great-grandfather and uncles fought for the South...:)

Reply to
John Gilham/Patsy Scott

JOAT notes:

Hell, I'm from NY, and I've been in this area of VA for over 27 years now. I'm told I still sound NY, but I'm not looking to return. I've done my moving.

But, then, my mother's family is VIrginian, has been since beforfe the Revolution, and, tales say, the first Self (spelled Selfe then, which is the way on SIL still spells it), landed in VA about 1653.

Might even be true. It still wouldn't shut up all these Scots-Irish Johnny Come Latelys who didn't get here until 1750s.

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Fri, Dec 10, 2004, 1:21am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (Morris=A0Dovey) says: When you answer that it's been your home for 20+ years, there's a reasonable chance that you /might/ be a committed community member (/might/ because you did, after all, leave the place you were before)

Actually, I retired from my last Army assignment here, it was in Raleigh. So you could say I just stayed. LOL Nice place, but a load of subdivisions going up all around. Still pretty nice tho, and I've always gotten along with the people here. Besides, my kids grew up here, so I'm not going far, if at all. Of course winter is hitting hard right now, supposed to be just around 70 degrees, with rain, tomrrow. LMAO

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

First, if someone is from NY, or ANYWHERE west/south of the Hudson River, they CAN NOT be any kind of yankee!!!!!

Yankees come from New England state ONLY!!!!!!!!!

If they are from Rhode Island, Mass, Vermont, NH, or Maine, they may be referred to as yankees [never Yankees]. Only folks from Connecticut can be referred to as Yankees[PERIOD]!!!

Richard Schmidt

Reply to
Richard Schmidt

Richard Schmidt relates:

And you got this quaint concept where? You wanna talk to a Latin American about Yanquis, maybe? Or talk to someone from south of the Mason-Dixon Line?

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Fri, Dec 10, 2004, 10:25am snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Richard=A0Schmidt) is apparently trying out for Last Comic Standing with: First, if someone is from NY, or ANYWHERE west/south of the Hudson River, they CAN NOT be any kind of yankee!!!!! Yankees come from New England state ONLY!!!!!!!!! If they are from Rhode Island, Mass, Vermont, NH, or Maine, they may be referred to as yankees [never Yankees]. Only folks from Connecticut can be referred to as Yankees[PERIOD]!!!

I stand corrected. You are absolutely, 100%, right. The correct usage would be, "Damn Yankee".

ROTFLMAO

JOAT Remember: Nova is Avon, spelled backwards.

Reply to
J T

Was wonderin' where you 'bin...congratulations!

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Hey now!

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan responds:

Don't sweat it. The other part of my father's reputed family was waiting here to offer the first Selfe, and everyone else, the Indian's gift: a peace pipe full of that wonderful herb, tobacco. Talk about getting even in advance!

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

I dunno about that- it gets disgustingly hot in the summer in west-central Wisconsin. OTOH, the winters have been so mild, I'm actually beginning to believe that there might be something to global warming. December 12th already, and I can still see grass outside my window. Heck, it *rained* last week- very odd for WI.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

So all those folks in blue that mah granddaddy shot in the late unpleasantness were what? He sure thought they were "Yankees". No, I take that back--those guys were "damnyankees", which I was taught to believe was synonymous with "Yankees" but maybe I was mistaken.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So what were they, Dodger fans ?

Reply to