we discussed miter saw in length , but how about band saw?

Page 2 of 2

"Pawel" wrote in message

am
Does
A cabinet shop in this day and age basically _needs_ a table saw, a furniture shop will often find a bandsaw a much more useful/versatile tool, particularly so if you are good with hand tools (planes), or plan on being that way.
That said, I worked with a cabinetmaker in England for a while in the 60's who had no table saw and whose family had been operating without one for a couple of hundred years.
So, despite all the "you must have a table saw" replies, the answer really depends upon what you want to do as a woodworker.
Eventually you will _want_ both, but make your initial choice on what your current woodworking goals are.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

The owner of a local fine woodworking school has a 14" band saw as the only power tool in his personal home shop. He builds traditional furniture of solid stock, with no sheet goods. The main use for his band saw is resawing, everything else is done with hand tools.
It all depends...
Barry

If funds are limited, I'd suggest getting an inexpensive 14" band saw to start with... my Rigid was less that $350 and gets a lot of use...
Your circular saw can fill in on the stuff the table saw is better for, and IMO, you'll be happier with an entry level BS then you will be with the same range of table saw..
Later, when you really need and can justify the cost of a good TS, you'll still get a lot of use out of the BS.. YMWV Mac https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm

===============The simple answer is that many people do exactly that....
Personally that approach just would not cut it (no pun intended) in my shop where the Tablesaw gets used 10- to 20 times as much as my bandsaw... To me tha Bandsaw is the more "specialized" of the two...
Bob G.