WE are losing it.

Page 6 of 10  
"Kenneth" wrote

Perhaps you should first educate us as to how the simple display of the moral imperatives of a society inarguably based on Judeo Christian values/principles conveys "special privileges" onto any group of people?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I know more than one Jew who finds the term "Judeo Christian" to be offensive, regarding it as yet another attempt by Christians to blame Judaism for their own shortcomings.
--
FF

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Like CitiBank and Merrill Lynch? I'm waiting for someone to hide 20 or 30 billion in the "economic stimulus" package to bail out these two greed-mongers. But that's just the cynic in me. - Dave in Houston
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I will accredit this to you, Swing, when I use this in other convos. Well said.
It seems so obvious to those who have their head on straight, but it is so amazing to discover that so few of them have.
The cartoon side of me wants to say; "WTF??? Is this hard to digest???
It drives me nuts. Around here, I have a friend who operates a serious fleet of school buses. About 70, I figure. His contracts are with a school board which specifically exists for the Roman Catholics. No matter how close a child lives to his/her school, he/she gets a ride. He/she gets funding. From MY tax dollars.
One of my best friends is a principal of a Christian School. He survives on fees paid by the parents who feel their little snowflakes need to be indoctrinated by the same moral standards THEY were raised by. Again, goodie for them, I think that is cool.
When I get MY tax bill (municipal) I get to pick. Catholics or public. My buddy's school (with about 300 students) is NOT on that list.
Here comes the clincher:... He does not WANT any tax money, because the second he does, he is told: No religious artifacts, like bibles, NO prayer in school..yadda, yadda....
We, as Christians, never had an easy go of it. A few, like myself, have become hardened and semi-militant about it. I don't think I am known to mince words, but I assure you, that a meeting of either school-boards is a whole lot more interesting with me in the audience.
r
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:54:48 -0600, "Swingman"

Howdy,
'Happy to...
It advantages that group that supports, or believes in, those particular principles. (But, I truly suspect you knew that <g>.)
The simple intuitive test would be to ask yourself how you would feel were you to enter a court that displayed some other set of "moral imperatives." Might you feel in any way disadvantaged, or diminished? To whatever degree you might, one could suggest that your privileges had been diminished.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

"Advantages", "privileges diminished"? ... in what way, specifically?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That advantaged group would be a vast majority of the people in the United States. Disputing that is in fact an attempt to twist and manipulate.

That would be just fine with me. As long as the imperatives were of Good morals.
Might you feel in any way

Only if I was an idiot.
To whatever degree you might,

If I in fact felt that my privilidges had been diminished, it would be because of my own doing. If I had a problem with that, I could certainly go to another country and see how those courts would fit my wants. No one that has not broken any laws is forced to stay in the United States and be governed by its age old ways that worked pretty darn well unill some people started twisting and manipulation the laws.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:18:38 GMT, "Leon"
Hi Leon,
Please see my comments inline below...

As before, you are completely correct. What we are exploring here has to do with protection for the rights of the minority.

Do you mean "good" in the opinion of the judge in my example, or in your own opinion?

This last one leaves me a bit confused.
If you were charged with a crime, and felt that your privileges had been diminished would you be leaving for that other country before or after your trial?

Are you really suggesting that all the people charged with crimes are guilty? If that were true, we could save a fortune <g>.
Also, when you say that things "worked pretty darn well" I would have to ask "For whom?"
Anyone with even a superficial knowledge of our nation's history knows that while those "old ways" worked "pretty darn well" for some of our people, it worked very poorly for many others.
As before, I thank you for your response,
--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

In this case keeping a list of Moral Rules in the courts does in fact intend to protect the minorities rights.

Good as defined by your creator.

Until I see a large decay in the morals in court system I would stay.

No.
The citizens as a whole.

Totally agree, but then its not all about me, "Me" being any person in general. The "old ways" is a system that worked much more often than not. Life is not perfect. Life is not fair. What we learn from these facts helps us.

Your are welcome, however I feel that either you agree with my comments or you are troubled with your own thoughts on the matter. My answers are my feelings and I am in total comfort with them. I hope that you find comfort in yours.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 02:25:47 GMT, "Leon"

Hi Leon,
But what happened to the concern for the rights of the minority?
There are many people in the United States who feel that they have been harmed profoundly by that notion of "the whole."

My family has gone to sleep and I am clicking away here quietly, but I laughed out loud when I read your last comment above.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And visa versa. That is a moot point.

People that laugh inappropriately tend to be uneasy with themselves. Good luck with that.
."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:18:38 +0000, Leon wrote:

The Constitution was written to protect the minority from the majority. Failure to do so is mob rule.

And of course YOU would be the judge of that.

Leon, you're a lost cause. You just used a long-winded sentence to say "Love it or leave it".
Age old ways? OK, you got me - I hadn't realized till now that you were trolling :-).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, God is the judge of that.

Yeah.
Well not really. ;~)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 02:29:54 +0000, Leon wrote:

Then you have my sympathy :-).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I doing fine, thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Kenneth wrote:

Well, since those moral imperatives are displayed all over the Supreme Court building (and on most federal buildings in Washington, D.C.) in stone and in fact are the underpinnings of our legal system, it advantages all Americans.

I might feel I wasn't in the United States, and if that was the case I might have no privileges at all.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:38:15 -0700, Doug Winterburn

Hi Doug,
When you say "if that was the case" do you mean if you were in another country, or do you mean if you had that feeling of being "diminished?"
Thanks,
--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:54:48 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Yeah, right.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

OK.... I'm going to get some popcorn now. This could get good.
Robert
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I "am not" of the opinion that the 10 commandments must be displayed in the courts. I do however believe that the judge, government official or not, should be allowed to conduct his court room and have in his court room what he chooses to have. Personally I prefer that they be displayed but I certainly am against some one wanting them taken down for his day in court. That person can choose to ignore them if he finds them offensive.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.