wd-40

Page 2 of 3

Kerosine is a popular moderator (slows the burn down) in the burn between pure hydrogen and oxygen. Popular amongst rocket engines.
When pulling a charge of air into an air-rifle, a squirt of WD 40 turns it into a whole new experience. The fumes will 'diesel' the pellet with increased velocity, and a 'flame' is actually visible.

...which completely defeats the whole concept of stealth assassination by BB.
nb

The squirrels have yet to file a complaint.

ROTFL!
Robatoy wrote: ...

Haven't tried that; don't have the air rifle, just use the .22 short instead...sounds like fun, however. :)
In a pinch I've applied it to rusted up stuff that needed torch heat to break loose--it sputters and burns half-assedly rather than steadily as does kerosene itself. I assume that's the effect of the other trace additives.
I've looked up the MSDS previously for it; it's a slightly lighter fraction than K-1; there's a trade/generic name for the base solvent that escapes me just now and I'm not motivated enough to look it up.... :)
Somebody once me sent an urban legend about how the stuff is made in individual batches by these specially-trained gurus who know "the secret formula" and are essentially brew masters. The "passer-on" was apparently nearly mortally offended when I pointed out they make the stuff in tank-car quantities from commercially produced and available standard industrial chemicals and add a few proprietary ingredients.
What a load of hooey has arisen over a mostly so-so product that has served them well in marketing.
Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

Actually, unfortunately, I have...spent several years w/ primary client of Garrett AirResearch in Torrance/Huntington Beach area. Needless to say, was always a relief to get the h - e - double-toothpicks back to E TN hills...
"dpb" wrote:

The weather get to you?
Sounds like too much of a good thing.
BTW, not sure if Honeywell still operates Torrance or not, but whatever remains of Huntingtin Beach has been absorbed by Boeing.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

On occasion, yes; _terribly_ smoggy many afternoons in those days. But, mostly just too d--d many people and too much asphalt and not enough ground...

Far too much of what turned an _originally_good_thing_ (tm) into a hellhole, actually... :(
Barnabey's was ok...it still there?
Overall, it's one of those places everybody should go to once but it's nowhere to have to live.

This was long ago; moved on to other areas after DOE finally pulled the plug on the enrichment centrifuge fiasco so never paid any attention to what became of AirResearch. Did run into a couple of the guys over the years in various places and kept in touch w/ BBN fella that used to drive down from Ventura weekly for quite a while but they were all even older than I and retired years and years ago now--I only "years ago" when returned to family farm in SW KS. Oh, and got to know the Delta LAX/ATL/TYS flight crews to the point of exchanging cards w/ some until both sets of kids were thru school. That's a clue you've been traveling far too regularly. :)
"dpb" wrote:

Thanks to the efforts of organizations such as SCAQMD, smoggy afternoons are few and far between these days.
As far as people, you just learn to live with it.
The traffic can be a pain, especially during morning/afternoon commute if you work an 8-5 job.
I refer to the L/A basin as a paved dessert.
Trying to grow grass like an English garden is a total waste of time, money, and water, especially water.

The hotel in Manhattan Beach?
Never been there but they have a web site so assume they are still there.

No snow, low humidity, no bugs, I'll take it.

Spent far too much time with my rear end jammed into the center seat of a 727 myself.
Can certainly relate.
Thank heavens I don't have to fly any more, it has become a total PITA.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

I choose to not have to...

Yeah, it was/(is?) relatively amenable place, at least...

Having to put up w/ the excess numbers of people and their accoutrements are far worse than a few bugs... :) The E TN humidity was indeed sorta' a pain during the worst of the summer, but having seasons is _a_good_thing_ (tm).

... If I ever fly commercial again it'll be a very special place/occasion, indeed...
dpb wrote:

Unless you live in SoCal, you may not realize there are 4 seasons, just like everybody else.
Unlike back over the hill, SoCal seldom sees temps below 40F.
Still rememmber my last trip back to Ohio in January when I was reintroduced to -5F overnight temps and why I left in the first place.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

While there are some seasonal variations, yes, they're miniature caricatures of a "season" at best... :)

... Awwww, what's a little nip in the air? Weren't any bugs, were there? :)
My biggest complaint still is (and always will be) that if have to wait thru more than one light from one end of town to the other, that's far too much traffic...
"dpb" wrote:

Where I live, don't have any bugs.
Bugs need water.
Water is in short supply.
Thus no bugs but also no song birds to eat them.
Everthing has a cost.

There still are/were some spots like that in Michigan for instance.
Have sailed into Harrisville, MI a few times which is in the L/P north of Saginaw Bay on the Lake Huron side.
Harrisville is the county seat and has or had one traffic light.
Last time I was there was 20 years ago, things may have changed.
Where I grew up, 50 miles south of Cleveland, nearest neighbor was 1/4 mile away.
Today, they have cut a road thru the field next door, some of the most productive farm land in the USA, and built a development.
250 million people at the end of WWII, over 300 million today.
We either reduce breeding or accept that things are going to be more crowded.
Lew

151 million in 1950.
"LD" wrote:

See what happens when youforget to proof read your stuff.
Thank you for the correction.
What I meant to post was 140 million at the end of WWII (pre boomer).
Lew

You're welcome. One of the things I truly enjoy about posting is that some dumb ass with more time than sense will always come along to correct my errors. :o)

Sounds about right.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

More croweded? Yeah, but everything is relative.
If you took all the people on earth and stacked them up like cordwood, they would fit in a cubic mile.
At population density of Hong Kong, everybody on earth would fit in the former Yugoslavia. Most women would go for this inasmuch as the normal sleep position would be spoon.
HeyBub wrote:

And if the entire Earth had the population density of Hong Kong then what would people eat?

Soylent Green

Each other >-|