WD-40

Page 2 of 2

nah, that's one of the alternates for SWMBO. <grin>

I guess you could say WD-40 does have water in it, it has water in the name!!
Rob
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:45:53 -0400, Thomas Mitchell

Could it be 3 in 1 oil you are thinking of? as that can contain water, since it contains (or used to) meths and that does contain water (or used to). I found out about this a very long time ago, so things may have changed, and I don't have a can handy to check - I switched to using castrol ever since I found out!
Take Care, Gnube I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)
In rec.woodworking

I know you didn't write the top part Gnube but I don't have that post. WD-40 contains no water. The very name "WD" stands for "Water Displacing." It wouldn't be a very efficient, using water to displace water.
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:05:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

We, as a group of users with my ISP, have to ride our supplier pretty hard to get a half decent news service out of them, but if we're being smart we never admit to being happy, as it means they stop trying so hard and it'll never get better if that happens! ;O)
Helps to get most of the posts though!
One or two keep saying how happy they are, and those damn fools are letting the rest of us down! ;O) <sigh>
Take Care, Gnube I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)

Ooo. Ooo. I use 3-in-one oil specifically to wipe down my planes. I thought it would be good for that since it says on the front "lubricates, cleans & prevents rust" (and it has acheived miracle oil status over the last 50 years in my family). Interestingly it is made by the WD-40 company. It only says it contains petroleum distillates on the can but gives no specifics. Perhaps a MSDS sheet might give details of what is in it.
Kiyu
Nope. It was a heated debate as I recall, but it may have been just one person thinking they were right. Good to know that the stuff doesn't contain water. I'll sleep better at night, and start using it on the tools again.
Gnube wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:41:03 -0400, Thomas Mitchell

It doesn't. Use it, but don't spray it around your wood or anything else you want to put a finish on.

Now put a nice coat of paste wax over the cleaned metal. It'll stay rust-free for months.
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't more like "WD-40 will make your tools rust?"
I've heard that a lot. I can't remember the arguments. The gun people especially hate it, and point out time and again how evil it is.
Just in case anyone's interested, here's the official history website:
http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html
WD stands for Water Displacement. ;)
Dan