WD-40

Page 1 of 2
I haven't been here long, a couple months, but I haven't seen this topic. What do people think about WD-40? I've heard two conflicting sides of this debate. One says it's ok to use, the other says it contains water and will result in rust.
I got a used Delta drill press a couple weekends ago which needed cleaning up, ie dirt and grime. I used WD-40 all over it last night and the press cleaned up nice. First time I've really used WD-40 on my woodworking tools.
No water content - developed by the military - name is its own description: WD (water displacer 40). I've used it to help start a lawn mower (spraying into intake - easier on cylinders than ether) but as a regular lubricant - I don't do it. Others do and have no problem -
Jim

actually developed by a company called the Rocket Chemical Company of San Diego, by chemist Norm Larsen

Now that's an interesting use. I sometimes need help starting the chipper/shredder and always forget to get a can of ether. I'll remember that trick.
Jim Mc Namara wrote:

The "WD" stands for "Water Displacement" or somesuch. I use it to clean cast iron but always follow up with a coat of paste wax (that DOES NOT contain silicone)

This from my Jet tablesaw's manual: Table Top: Remove rust from the tabletop with WD-40 and a Scotch-BriteT Hand Pad. Keep a light coat of WD-40 on the tabletop when not in use.
Do you have a recommendation on the wax?
Charlie Self wrote:

Johnson's paste wax
Jums

anymore. I haven't seen it on store shelves for some time so I am going to try to stretch what I have left as far as I can.
Kiyu

Butcher's is also good.
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:45:27 GMT, kiyu snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Kiyu) scribbled

Only in Canada. You Merkins can still get it.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
Thomas Mitchell asks:

Hard to beat Johnson's, or any good floor wax sans silicone. I use Boeshield T-9 most of the time these days (laziness, I guess, because it is easier to apply).
Charlie Self
I think we agree, the past is over. George W. Bush
IMHO, since wax is not a very good water barrier on wood, it does not do well on iron either. I have tried in the past, waxes and Boehield with out any decent lasting results. About 14 years ago, I discovered TopCote and living in Humid Houston, rust is simply not given a second thought anymore. 3 years ago I tried Boeshield on my new TS and have rust stains to prove it. I immediately went back to TopCote and have not accumulated any more rust stains. I reapply TopCote when the wood starts to drag.
If they are, you wouldn't know it by me. I've followed those same directions and have kept a light coat of WD-40 on the tabletop and have had no trouble. Also, contrary to popular belief, I use it on my firearms. I use what I know works. I have also used the wax as you mentioned and it does work, but not as well in my experience.
Don

I don't make the news. I just report it. :)
I don't follow their advice, but for two different reasons: (1) already spent nine-bux on that little can of TopCote and (b) rust, in this semi-arid climate, is not a big worry.
About a year ago, I bought a 'trial size' set of TopCote products I think. Do they make a pump spray product? I haven't used it yet. As I recall the set was about $20. I'll have to dig the stuff out of the cupboard.
tnfkajs wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:41:03 -0400, Thomas Mitchell

It will not rust your tools. I've given my metal toolbox a quick spray with WD40 to prevent rust. I'll use WD40 when a spray is convenient, but I much prefer kerosene to wipe my tools to prevent rust. I keep WD40, Liquid Wrench, kerosene, cup grease, and a light sewing machine oil in my shop at all times. Each product has advantages/disadvantages but knowing which one to use for the job at hand is the key.
I believe ya. You can find lots of incorrect information around if you look.
But now you know "The rest of the story."
:)

I use my hand tools on a daily basis (plumber) and I use wd40 just as much. This keeps my tools clean and rust free.
rik
--

Padded room with a view
RWC3