Way OT, PVC pipe

Page 1 of 2

Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC pipe without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do nuthin...
John Emmons
"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

A rag moistened with acetone or lacquer thinner will do nicely -- just don't soak the pipe with the stuff, and it'll be fine.
--
Regards,
Thanks, I've got both, didn't want to start using something that would ruin the pipe.

But don't get the acetone on your hands or we'll have another hundreds posts about how bad it is for you. And make sure you are grounded with solid copper wire when you wipe it so static charges don't create an explosion of the dust in your vacuum cleaner.

I find it interesting that you would joke about something as serious as exploding dust collectors. It is a well known fact that the static created in these things can cause major explosions.....hahahaha Just messin' with you Edwin! I got a good laugh from your post. Cheers, cc

White paint? White permanent marker? Light sanding?
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 00:16:16 GMT, "John Emmons"

Clear Oatey primer.
John Emmons wrote:

I always sand it of with a fine paper, works Ok. regards John
Try the PVC cleaner used to prep the glue joint.
Jack
-- I've never learned anything from someone who agreed with me.

Yes, that works great. Although if you can only find the purple stuff it kind of defeats the purpose...
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 00:16:16 GMT, "John Emmons"

You might ty rubbing compound - should remove the printing and polish the pvc at the same time.
Bill
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 00:16:16 GMT, "John Emmons"

Sandpaper?
But the real question is why you want to.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Well no, the real question was how to remove it. Why is a whole nother question. I'm using some PVC pipe for something other than what it was designed for and I want to make it a plain white instead of having all the printing on it. Pretty simple really.
Acetone sorta worked, not as well as I would have thought. I'll try some lacquer thinner next.
John

Some reason you're resisting the idea of using...pvc pipe cleaner...?
Not resisting it at all, just don't happen to have any onhand and someone recommended both acetone and lacquer thinner, both of which I happen to have onhand.
If the lacquer thinner doesn't work, I'll go get some pvc pipe cleaner. If I can find any that isn't tinted as someone else mentioned.
John Emmons

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:31:26 GMT, "John Emmons"

I was making towel racks for my pool deck and a frame for my spa solar cover. I tried all that stuff. The clear Oatey worked best. Just be sure you "flood" the lettering off into an old towel and not just smear it. Once you get the feel for how much cleaner to use it goes pretty fast. This is very nasty stuff so use good gloves and eye protection. Plenty of ventilation (outside). I used a respirator ... but I am chicken.
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 01:04:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This is how nasty http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/assets/MSDS_Sheet/Clear%20Primer%20%20.pdf

I suggested that way up thread. Get the Oatey clear, yellow can at Home Depot or Lowes. Don't screw with the daubber, use a terry cloth rag.and use plenty. Wear the appropriate PPE, gloves, eye protection and do it outside.
You might try hairspray. Back in the old days when I worked in a grocery store that's what we used to remove the purple ink from the price stamps when the prices changed. I've noticed they still make the brand of spray we used. Not sure what it is but it's a silver and purple can with a sort-of spider web design on it.
--Rick
John Emmons wrote:

white plastic doodads such as picture frames.
Gary