Way OT- Mozilla Firefox help

Page 2 of 3

That is what I am wondering...is Dave the only guy to figure out what got by all the Firefox developers? :^)
-Mark
Mark Rance wrote:

You're reading and replying to old segments of the thread, or at least out of sync with what's happened in the thread. The upshot was that the security holes were fixed in Firefox v1.0.4.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

You mean Dave Dave, not Me Dave, right?
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

Yup, he's aiming at me. Just needs to adjust for windage and lead time. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

What ae the specifics of the security probelm you speak of with Firefox?
-Mark

The vulnerability in question was resolved more than a week ago, with version 1.04.
nospambob wrote:

Get a friend with a high speed connection to download it to CD/DVD, then install from the CD. Besides, if you have IE, just download another copy.

uninstall then download it again,,., I Do use Firefox as a browser...use Forte Agent as a newsreader... To be honest never had a problem with either,,,, Both Free versions
Bob Griffiths

ti, and with my speling and tpying skiills, my possts wouuld lokk like this.

BTDT twice and both times get same error MSD, something about not finding START.MOZILLA.ORG. I bought Agent for the support that has been outstanding. Liked free Agent and decided to avoid problems. Mozilla has a forum but you need a viable Mozilla browser to use it. Appreciate the help from all!
On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:13:16 -0400, Bob G.

home page" I always uncheck that. Sounds like what it was looking for.

I had no problem opening http://forums.mozillazine.org/ in IE. I've only used the forums from firefox, though. Where are you getting stuck. I can't believe they would make it not work in ie, since they want to be able to attract current IE users. And to support Thunderbird for non-firfox users.

what are the symptoms?
does it load, the window open, and then just 'not work'?
AYUP to both.
On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:36:23 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

If the 'just not work' includes "don't even get the I-beam cursor, when clicking on the URL entry panel" then -- BINGO! I ran into the *exactly* the same problem. Took some digging to get to the bottom of it, but the culprit was "something" clobbered in the 'extensions' I'd selected. *AND* 'uninstalling' Firefox does *NOT* remove the extensions, thus a re-install _automatically_ picked the problem child up again.
Here's the fix:
First, "uninstall" firefox, if you haven't already.
Next, do the following: Start->Search->files and folders
Search for the name Mozilla
You should get several matches. One of them will be a folder under "Application Data" (the exact path depends on the OS version, and what 'username' you're using, if applicable)
Now, open Windows explorer (Start[right-click]->explore), and go to that folder. In it there will be a folder named 'firefox', click on that.
In that folder, will be a folder named "profiles", click on _that_.
In _that_ folder will be a folder with a 'garbage' 8-character name, probably the only thing in the folder. click on *that*.
In *that* will be a folder named "Extensions", click on THAT (hang in there, we're almost done! :)
In THAT folder, click on 'Edit->Select All" from the menu bar. then click on "file->delete" from the menu bar. confirm that you want to send things to the recycle bin, if asked.
Close Windows Explorer.
"empty recycle bin".
Run the Firefox installer program again. It should be on your hard-disk "somewhere". do a "start->search->files or folders" for Firefox*setup*exe and you should find it.
If not, and you cant get to the regular Firefox download site, there's a copy of the 1.0.4 installer at <http://www.r-bonomi.com/firefox.exe
(If you're fool enough to trust an executable from a random web-site. :)
says...

book, are empty. It had also lost my ISP info. In other words, it looked like I'd just installed it. I reloaded the entire directories from a CD backup, but that seemed to confuse it. Guess I'll have to uninstall and reinstall.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm says...
I guess I didn't make it clear that I was talking about the standalone Thunderbird, not Firefox.
And while I haven't tried it yet, I ran across the below in another newsgroup. Sure sounds like my problem.
------------ 5. I checked again, and restarted Thunderbird. Then I had a closer look at the directory structure, and under Profiles\ a directory with varying name (like 60fth4de.default\) contains the 'real' data. I copied Mail\ and ImapMail\ from my old directory there, as well as the collections of files found there in the old directory, and voila! everything was working again! Even my addresses reappeared! -------------------
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

When all else fails, RTFM
lgb wrote:

lgb wrote:

I installed Firefox (1.0) and Thunderbird sometime back and it sucked everything out of Netscape (4.7) right into Firefox and Thunderbird-- bookmarks, history, all of my e-mail folders. Didn't loose anything.

Are you talking about Firefox (per your note) or Thunderbird? Firefox knows nothing about your mail or address book, unless there is an extension I am not aware of.

nospambob wrote:

If you cannot successfully uninstall and reinstall Firefox to the default location try a fresh install to an alternate location.
Windows is so insanely stupid that when you reinstall software it will not overwrite files that are already there (except maybe for your user data files) so that if you are doing a reinstall to correct corrupt files it doesn't work. Windows was written to make it very difficult to fix corrupted programs, whether on purpose or through gross incompetence is anybody's guess.
--

FF