Way OT- Mozilla Firefox help

Page 1 of 3

My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another related program but Firefox works or did for me.

What's it (not) doing? My email address is real if you want to do it there.
Dave
nospambob wrote:

If you have a utility such as System Suite 2000 that will allow you to clean out and restore your registry, that would be my first step.
It is a broad axe technique but it usually works for me.
Delete the entire FireFox directory, then go back and clean up the registry and get rid of all the broken links, etc.
After that, try downloading again.
HTH
Lew
Try Mozilla's counterpart newsreader/mail program - Thunderbird. I'll never open Outlook Express again!
nospambob wrote:

I just updated from W95 to W98SE. Yes, I know I'm slow :-).
W98 has completely wiped out my address books and inbox/sent/trash folders. Even restoring them from a CD backup doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?
Luckily it didn't destroy Gravity :-).
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

Understood, completely.

that's a nasty upgrade. do yourself a favor and go buy another hard drive and install the new OS on that. then mine your data off of the old one.
says...

You're not slow, as you say, you're creating unnecessary problems for yourself. What possible compelling reason is there to be using Win anything but XP these days? There are so many advantages to using a current operating system over the fossil OS's you're electing to use. Why not upgrade to something realistic? As MS now admits, Win98 SE and ME were ly conceived ideas back then...and they garner no greater merit today.
-Mark
says...

Well, let's see. I'm in the process of switching back to Linux, which I used to use to develop Unix software before I retired. I've been using W95 in the interim only for internet access and drawing model rr plans, woodworking plans, etc..
After I complete the switch, Windows will be used almost only for creating decals on an Alps printer. I wanted to upgrade to 98 because the Alps driver is better. Otherwise, I would have stayed at 95.
And when you're retired on a low budget, W98SE for $30, with a 400MHZ computer attached, looks like a pretty good deal :-).
I'm back to using Netscape (4.77, another oldie) to read my email as well as visit websites until I get Linux running. I just wanted to fix Thunderbird as an exersize in defeating M$ clobbering of it :-).
BTW, the fix I quoted in my last post didn't work either. I'm either going to give up or download a newer release. I do have the old files which are ASCII, so I can recover any missing addresses and emails I want to keep.
Enough - back to woodworking.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

Chances are that your files are still there somewhere. You'd get better results posting this question to one of the Microsoft support groups.
For about the cost of the Win98 O/S dick, you can get a used or reburbished Dell with WinXP installed. The 20th century is long over...get with the program!
lgb wrote:

Wednesday 18 May 2005 12:24 am:

I don't use MSFT OS's anymore so DAMHIKT, but 'regclean.exe' is your friend. Delete the Firefox directory and then apply regclean (Google for it ... it's on a MSFT site somewhere.)
You should be done. Reinstall Firefox.
I just went from Fedora Core 2.0 Linux to Mandrake 10 Community Linux and lost nothing. Nothing.
Bill
"Bill C." wrote:

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Got a link? My sources don't seem to mention anything current. One of us has newer information than the other...not sure who.
Dave Hinz wrote:
wrote:

your friend.

it ...

Linux and

of
Firefox 1.0.3 did indeed have a couple of issues but they have since been patched in 1.0.4 IE with all available patches applied is still full of holes though, you can check here http://secunia.com/product/9 / for a full list of IE issues and by comparison for Firefox http://secunia.com/product/4227 /.
Firefox "Currently, 4 out of 17 Secunia advisories, is marked as "Unpatched" in the Secunia database." with the highest threat level being Less Critical 2/5
IE "Currently, 9 out of 47 Secunia advisories, is marked as "Unpatched" in the Secunia database." with the highest threat level being Highly Critical 4/5
Dave Hinz wrote:

Symantec came up with the warning, but my wife at DoD says the newest Firefox, v 1.0.4 has a fix in it, so that one *should* be safe.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Ah, OK, that's week old news then. Gotcha.
Mozilla just released version 1.0.4 within the past week to address some security issues. This will probably be the trend as it gets more popular and more bad guys become interested in taking advantage of it. It's still way better than any MS product in terms of both security and performance, IMHO. Having said that, I've never heard anything about any Java problems with Firefox.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Exploit discovered about 10 days ago. broad-based problem -- not just with Mozilla stuff. complicated timing-issue exploit by a malicious web-site.
_Already_fixed_ in FireFox 1.0.4, and Mozilla 1.7.8. out within _days_ of the vulnerability announcement.

That's the one I figured it was, so "nothing current" was it. It's wonderful (and not surprising) how fast the vulnerabilities in open-source software are fixed. Nothing like a team of motivated geeks to get the job done right, and right now.
Dave Hinz wrote:

That information is not correct. Comparatively, if Firefox "has a major security problem" then IE "has NO security."
Brian Livingston just had a recent article on Firefox vs. IE in the latest online issue of his news column. Good information.
Check here to get the column and subscribe (free) or pay some money and get a lot more stuff:
WindowsSecrets.com/info