Way OT: Master and Commander - Thumbs Up!

I don't go to a lot of first run movies, but I took a chance on a Russell Crowe movie and was richly rewarded. SWMBO and I saw it tonight. Highly recommended for the story, action, special effects, and acting! I've not been a RC fan in the past (well, ok he was fine in A Beautiful Mind), but this movie made me a fan! It's over 2 hours and there are some slow parts, but all in all, I'd rate it a 10/10. The cinematography is spectacular.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

We saw the movie last night. In the past year both my wife and I have read all 20 of Patrick O'Brien's books about Jack Aubrey, the role Crowe takes on in M&C, and his "particular friend" Stephen Maturin. I'm up to book 5 on the second time around. They have been called the greatest historical fiction ever written, and while I can't judge that, we certainly appreciate them. The movie departs in small ways from the characters of the protagonists, but in general is faithful to the books' tone and simple message about loyalty, duty, and friendship. In addition, it's just a great movie, with some of the most impressive sea battles ever filmed. (And none of the swinging around on the ropes that Errol Flynn indulged in.) My wife wants to see it again, and she NEVER wants to do that. After 38 years together, we finally have a common intellectual interest.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Then you may enjoy Proof of Life... Showing on HBO this weekend. Free this weekend if you have DirecTV.

Reply to
Leon

They may not be the best literature, but they're among the most enjoyable to read of any books. A good book beats an "important" book any day. I also read all 20 plus a couple of other O'Brian novels. Historical accuracy is impressive.

Woodworking angle: The books make much of the crew's independence, including the ship's carpenter's ability to make anything, fix anything and do it with hand tools and local wood as req'd. Neanders rule here!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Like they had a choice.

Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Charlie Self

Onya, Mike. Ever try to read David Donald's "magisterial" bio of Abe Lincoln?

And he wasn't even Irish! BTW, is it true that God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the earth?

Kinda like the Enterprise, where they rebuild the friggin' ship every time there's an emergency. "Reconfigure the holodeck, Commander Riker."

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

... snip

When was there ever not an emergency on that vessel? Words you'll never hear on the Enterprise, "You can have all the power you wan' capn', everything's working great"

Reply to
Mark & Juanita