Way OT and political, too

Offered without further comment:
"President Barack Obama pledged Friday to name a Supreme Court justice who combines "empathy and understanding" with an impeccable legal background..."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_on_go_su_co/us_scotus_souter_retiring_37
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

He also said, "I will seek someone who understands that justice isn't about some abstract legal theory or footnote in a case book." Abstract Legal Theory? Is he calling the Constitution Abstract? I'm wondering what he thinks the Supreme Court does? Read footnotes in a case book?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

He doesn't *care* what SCOTUS is supposed to do. He and his fellow radicals are hellbent on retooling the country to get around the limits on government power imposed upon the Constitution. Step 1 - exploit every proximate emergency to create a greater and greater roll for the snoopy Feds. Step 2 - Overplay, exaggerate, and outright invent "crises" as needed such as Climate Change, Healthcare access, the current piggie flu (which, to be fair, should be affecting more Liberals than anyone), and so forth. Step 3 - Rewrite the Constitution implicitly by appointing SCOTUS judges that will just make it up as they go along.
Welcome to Soviet America...
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Yep, exactly the reason that the founders established the limits on government that were set in the Constitution. Now this bunch wants to circumvent those limits and too many of the American people are willing to go along with that.

On Fri, 01 May 2009 21:50:49 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

One can always depend on you and Tim for a bit of unintended hilarity. Bush used the Bill of Rights for toilet paper for 8 years and you defended him. Now that a Democrat is in office ...

Larry Blanchard wrote:

imposed by the Constitution ...

And your buddy Bush did nothing to expand his powers? Your other dear friend Cheney didn't either? You often makes some sort of convoluted sense in your arguments, sometimes you sound like a blithering idiot. This is one of those times that you can't possibly believe what you are saying.... me thinks you're merely stirring the pot.
Robatoy wrote:

So your argument goes like this: "Since W made at least questionable, and in some cases flatly wrong calls on the power of government, the ObamaMessiah should be given a pass when he wants to do 10x that."
Bush was wrong about some things. Obama has been an order of magnitude worse in 100 days than Bush was in 8 years. Here's just one scorecard (there are many others):
Bush - $28B Bear-Stearns The Hopeium Dealer - $4 *Trillion* and counting in just a bit under 4 months.

Dude! Where did you get all that straw?
Every business man knows that you have to spend money to make money. BUT.. that does not include money you give to your friends at KBR/ Halliburton. Why is your vision so revisionist? I mean... "Bush 28B Bear-Stearn"... that's like saying that John Wayne Gacey got a parking ticket. ALL you are willing to hang on Bush is 28B?
For chrissakes, Tim... stop trying to treat people in this newsgroup like they're ill-informed idiots. Everybody here knows that the money Mr. Obama is spending is to try to save the castle walls from collapsing on top of the tunnels and holes that the Bush administration dug all around that fine country of yours.
Big oil and big business ran amok and left a huge mess for Mr. Obama. Now he's being picked on because he is trying to stop the bleeding. He is a hero and a saint in my eyes for having the balls to try to do all this good without worrying about little repugs like yourself squealing like little piggies.
Let me put this Robbie style: Mr. Obama has umpteen times the balls your little coke-sniffing drunk has/had. Okay? That spoiled little asshole sold his soul. Cheney was his Lord and Master. And now your whole country pays for not having had the balls to impeach that satanic prick.
BTW, I just sent Keith Olbermann a cheque to help him out with that little bill he might be running up challenging yet another repug prick to put his money where his mouth is. Hannity and Bush... birds of a feather.
Robatoy wrote:

That overarching contract was let by the Clinton administration because ... there are so few companies that do what KBR does.

No. It was - as I said - just one possible metric. Obama has spent upwards of what is it now, $3-4 TRILLION just on company bailouts and I'm comparing just that against Bush's similar spending. Say I'm wrong by 100% - double Bush to $100B and half the ObamaMessiah to $2T for bailouts ... 'not even close is it, and that revolting little Marxist is just getting started.

I don't think that nor do I treat people here that way. I do think many - including you - are only too happy to accept the news you hear from the malpracticing journalists of the so-called MSM - all of whom (or virtually all) are in the tank for the radical left and have a very flexible definition of what a "fact" is.

He is spending money that does not exist to "fix" something he cannot fix to buy time and votes so he can get elected again. He hasn't the slightest clue what he's doing - he a Chicago politican far better suited to bribing judges and cheating on elections than he is actually running anything (other than his big mouth).

Bit oil and big business would have fixed themselves in the face of the government doing nothing (as is properly should have). That's what's called a "marketplace." Folks who think your way are hilarious. You hate government cronyism with big business but also want the government to "fix" big business.

He couldn't fix a parking ticket. There is no "fix" here other than an orderly market to clean up the messes created by the various idiots: The silly bankers, the greedy consumers, the piglet politicians, et al.

That figures.

He has a lot of "balls" when its not his money, his life, his risk, his future. It's always easy to take chances when you will personally experience no downside. He's a fraud.

I didn't much like W on many fronts. I'd take him AND Cheney AND Rumsfeld AND Rice back in a hearbeat over the current rectal warts in power ... and I do NOT normally vote Repuglican.

This explains many things. Olbermann has the integrity of a child molester, the comportment of a sociopath, the competence of a laid off union worker, and the manner of street bum... he's the perfect source of info for those of you disinclined to inspect Reality and feed you "facts" you want to hear.

Robatoy wrote:

Bush made a grievous mistake with the initial bailout. Obama simply quadruple-downed on the bad bet.
Government does not create wealth; government destroys wealth. Every dollar the government spends is a dollar of wealth desroyed and Obama has set us up to destroy a lot of wealth.
It is in incontrovertible fact that during the Bush years, we had 23 consecutive quarters of economic growth (then the Democrats took over Congress, but that's another story). The results of the Obama strategy are not yet known, but some worry it'll take 23 generations to recover from the massive spending.
[snip BDS gratuitous insults]

Based on fake bank paper and borrwing against faked value in our homes as promoted by rating agencies and bankers. Economic growth isn't that if it is based on false premises.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Oh my ... as opposed to the "Real Paper" that the ObamMessiah is printing 24 hours a day - so much so that even the Chinese are getting wary of buying our bonds? Speaking of false premises ... oh never mind. You folks are in love with a radical Marxist and deserve everything that's coming...
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Yeah, some things, those Iraqi WMDs for example, four and half thousands Americans have paid for that little mistake with their lives, not to mention three billion bucks a week for six years.

What interesting math, it seems to overlook that dear old George got behind spending more like three-quarters of a trillion on top of the then record deficit he'd already overseen. By why bother with details like what he signed off on before his time ran out.

I hear he's even including the costs of two wars in the actual budget instead of making them a side-bet, outrageous!
DGDevin wrote:

Oh, bother! Those who died were volunteers. They signed up knowing the risk of death or injury, but sign up they did. For the opportunity to kill people and blow things up. Just like mountain climbers or skydivers or race car drivers accept similar risks for the thrill of the avocation.
Further, other figures confirm this observation. 85% of those who've served in Iraq or Afghanistan re-enlist at the first opportunity. The remaining 15% were killed, invalided out, retired, or married harridans.
And our nation benefited. Fully every commander now in uniform - from sergeant to 4-star general has led troops in combat. The tip of the spear is polished to an unbelievable gloss.
No, our warrior class trained to be there, they want to be there, they NEED to be there. For their family. For their country. For honor's sake. For glory's sake. They march. Into the Hot Gates they march, where Xerxes hordes count for nothing...
And the country will pay literally and figuratively for all those maimed physically and mentally for decades and decades. Ask anyone caring for veterans.
Oh the glory!
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

But we will pay - or our great grandchildren will - far more for far longer to pick up the tab for Comrade Obama's spending spree to get reelected ...
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

started!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

He did what he had to do because what he inherited. It was a brave thing to do.
and then you add:

and it is those jabs which put you in the 'asshole' column.
You ARE a Repuglican. A contrary nay-sayer. A sore loser. You got your ass handed to you. The is no party left to counter what the entire nation has endorsed as the path to the future. Whine and bitch all you want...and guess what? That is ALL you do. Every post is critique, a whine, a bitch, nothing constructive.
Robatoy wrote:

That's a tired, worn out, inaccurate argument. If you're going with that, then you have to say that Bush inherited it from Bill Clinton and Barney Frank. The Bush administration tried to warn about the eminent Fannie/Freddie collapse 18 times over several years. You can watch the hearings on youtube and see how Frank and his cohorts tried to demonize the alarm ringers as racists and fear mongers, saying "there's nothing wrong with Fannie/Freddie" over and over again.
--

-MIKE-