Way OT - Amusing ebay auction

The most annoying toy lot ever. Everyone who has kids or who knows people who have kids should see this.

to my regular hangouts.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:03:29 +0000, LRod brought forth from the murky depths:

What has happened to Ebay recently? Typical prices are now $1 for the item and $12-$30 to ship it next door. WTF,O?

-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience --------------------------------------------

- Web Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

At least you hear up front now...I've gotten some stuff from some real crooks on there (including one who insisted on $75 to ship a fly rod...it was a NICE fly rod, but it didn't cost him anything like that to ship). Another real annoying one was someone who charged me $3.85 to ship a Xerox copy of a short manual...the charge was represented as the charge to send it Priority Mail (which would have been fine)...however the thief pocketed the difference and sent it "Media Mail" which took 8 weeks after the postmark to arrive. (Yes, I live in the continental US.)

Reply to
George

Well lets hope that the other spots you hang out are not a squirrelly as the pets news group that got that whole cross posting war going a couple of months ago.

Reply to
Leon

Fee avoidance. EBay charges the seller, based on the final bid price, but excluding the shipping.

This lot sounds like a candidate for divorced fathers to give their non-resident kids 8-)

Andy Dingley

eBay has (or least did last time I looked) rules against idiotic shipping amounts. There's a certain threshold of craziness that they frown upon crossing.

If someone says "actual shipping", then they better damn well charge that. If they say "all shipping costs" then it just needs to be reasonable.

I once bought a laptop for $5 that some goofball wanted $30 to ship. Showed up at his from door the next day with $5.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Ohio's dept. of tax noticed that. Now we have to charge sales tax on S&H too.

Reply to
kb8qlr

You bet your ass it is. My parents have had a frickin' *field day* with my kids. It all started with the lights-and-siren fireman helmet.

They buy my kids batteries by the truckload too, to make sure none of that stuff ever runs out of juice.

Plus toys these days are just noisy anyway. Everything talks and plays movie soundbites. Sure, I had some toys that did that too, with little plastic records inside, but they were a novelty, and didn't make much noise. Now everything makes a ton of it, and the art of making vocal sound effects is now right up there with slide rules and mechanical typewriters.

Reply to
Silvan

I had toys that did that. But they _did_ that, that was what they did, that was all they did. Now you can't have a plastic sword without it doing "Avast sirrah" sound effects too.

How about using some _imagination_ ?

Andy Dingley

Keep in mind that sometimes it all makes sense.

I just sold 3 Harbor Freight hammers for $1, with a $7 shipping fee. They will cost all of $7 to ship via USPS. I just wanted them out of the shop, and I hate to throw things out.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Hear hear!

Reply to
Silvan

That's perfectly normal. I was talking about if you charged $35 to ship those hammers.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

It's not limited to grandparents. Some years ago a friend of mine was in a contest with his brother. It started out with sending noisy toys to the others kids. Then it escalated to costing the other money. For example the kid receives a game cartridge and you don't own the Nintendo machine it's played on. Or give one kid a ticket to Disneyland and his brother a ticket to Knotts Berry Farm.

Count yourself lucky if you're still in the noisy toy stage.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

That's how I got even with my sister.

Reply to
Mark

Mark wrote in news:72Zvb.31208$kL2.1185 @fe3.columbus.rr.com:

Drum sets, slide whistles, toy pianos, are kids stuff. Try a small accordian for real fun. Better yet, a few model rocket kits with lots of engines will certainly make for a great christmas for the kids.

A camera with tons of film also can be fun. Those candid pics of dad in the shower will certainly be entertaining.

Send do-it-yourself doll house that one can put together in just a few dozen 40 hour sessions.

A really effective subwoofer will certainly please that teen. Send 2 just in case one goes out.

The teen into PC gaming? Get him a 5.1 sound system! Gunfire and explosions at 1am never hurt anyone.

Sent that young lad a years subscription to Guns and Ammo and Soldier of Fortune along with a few posters of Brittany.

A case of assorted fireworks will be an instant hit. Don't forget a few Bic lighters too.

Send the parents a stuffed monkey and a 1 gallon gas can with a card apologizing for the stuffed monkey. You wanted to send them a real one so that they could realize their fantasy, but couldn't find a real one in time. This one works great when all the family is around including Grandma and Grandpa. Let them explain the fantasy to them. Dont forget the box of matches.

Rich Andrews

She has two boys, both age 6.

Their beyond kids stuff but not yet ready for fireworks.

I like the accordion idea. maybe a squeeze box, or two (they fight over the hot toys).

Sisters in Florida, I'm in Ohio, far enough to be out of the blast zone.

Reply to
Mark

I beg to differ. If they don't specify that they overcharge for shipping then 'buyer pays shipping' implies that is all they pay, no surcharge.

If they do specify then that is indeed how it goes.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I was about 8 when I got my favorite birthday present from my uncle. One of those plastic rockets you fill halfway with water, then pump up with a little air pump. Mom made me wait until dad got home from the office to test it out so he got the first launch. Good thing, too, else I would have had to learn the hard way that it is not a good idea to stand in rockets' exhaust. Especially in your best suit.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Depending on the seller, all statements can be meaningless.

Well to me that means the buyer will pay whatever the shipping is, not an arbitrary amount more.

Yep, 'actual' shipping should be clear to anyone its just that to me, 'shipping' means 'actual shipping' and not 'shipping plus a surcharge'.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt