Waxing your finished project.

I read recently that you can paste wax your already finished project. Now, my question is, what kind of finishes can you put wax on top of? I always finish my projects with polyurethane. Can this be waxed? And what kind of wax? I think the article I read talked about paste wax. I have some paste wax that we use on our hardwood kitchen floor. Will that work? Yeah, yeah, I know: try it on a scrap piece first. And I will, but as I have limited combinations of finish to try, I'd like to avail myself of your vast pool of knowledge, too.
Thanks, everyone!
Brian
Good question, good reason. I'm in the same boat. Will watch the answers here. Ed

You can put wax over just about any finish. Regular old paste wax works fine or you could use car wax if you were so inclined. I use Trewax and add a little mineral spirits to make it softer. Put it on, let it dry to a haze and then buff it off.
Johnsons and Trewax are often suggested. Avoid car wax due to silicone content.
On 2 Oct 2003 21:28:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Brian Phillips) wrote:

And what's wrong with car wax on a finished project?
If there is any silicone in the wax and there often is with car wax it creates problems trying to refinish in the future. Silicone is the cause of fish eye.
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:12:10 GMT, "Norm Underwood"

If you're going to refinish it in the future, you're going to have to strip the exising finish which will remove all traces of the silicone. The only time you need to worry about silicone is on something that has not had its final finish applied yet.
Any finish can be waxed and will benefit from it.
While wax isn't much of a protector in itself it will lubricate the surface of a finish and slow the build up of micro scratches a finish tends to collect in day to day use.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
| | I always finish my projects with polyurethane. Can this be waxed?
I haven't had any problems. I've used paste wax and Watco Satin Wax on polyurethane with good results.
Don't use Butcher's Wax. I was told it was a carcinogen. Liberon makes the best waxes you can find, and their 4xo steel wool is the best applicator.
Rennaisance, Black Bison, the more expensive waxes. More $ for a reason. They are better.
DarylRos wrote in

    So is a lot of other stuff we use in the shop. I use Butcher's wax and like it, and will probably keep on using it. Come to think of it everytime I turn around something else gets labeled a carcinogen.     I am starting to think that a lot of the carcinogen findings depend on the number of research projects that have been commisioned by the personal injury lawyers in a given year. <grin>
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DarylRos) wrote in message