Waxing Wood Screws

Try it. I find that it is especially good to use with itty bitty brass screws used to attach fancy hardware bits to boxes and whatnot. Without some wax, even with precisely sized pilot holes, it's very difficult to get a screw in tight enough to do the job without mangling the head.

I poke mine in a can of Johnson's paste wax. It works great, and it's easier to get the wax on than using gulf or beeswax.

Reply to
Silvan

For furniture? I don't THINK so...

David

George wrote:

Reply to
David

That would have worked in 1958 when I used Brylcream. I just tried it and all I got was scrapes on my head.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A little dab will do you.

Reply to
Leon

I would suspect it makes them nearly impossible to remove also. And then there is that water that in the glue.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Grandpa

Geez Grandpa that was starting to sound like a homeless persons supper recipe.

Reply to
Leon

I thought that was the slogan for KY?

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

The wax provides lubrication to help prevent the screw from breaking. Candle wax works, beeswax is better.

Reply to
Phisherman

Are you sure that either is correct? I believe that hygroscopic is correct, but the only definition I could find for hydroscopic has it as the adjective form of hydroscope - a device used to see beneath the water.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I think now that you were speaking tongue-in-cheek, since hydrophilic means "having an affinity for water".

I still think that Charles I had it right with "hygroscopic", though.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Are toilet bowl rings still made of beeswax? The ones at my local hardware store store don't say what type of wax they're made from. I'm guessing that the manufacturers have found something cheaper than beeswax to use.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I dunno, but I've found canning wax to work well at a low price.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

KY? We're talking about scr . . . . . . Yeah, that'd work

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually, it was Brill Cream, AKA: "greasy kids stuff."

Absolutely mandatory if you wore your hair in a DA.

(Ducks Ass) for you youngsters.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Actually it was "Brylcreem", IIRC.

AKA a "Hollywood" ... and "pomade" was the glue of choice around here for the front of the flat top, so it would stand up ... will never forget the smell of either.

Reply to
Swingman

"Butch Wax"! ... that was the name of the pomade.

Reply to
Swingman

Nope. KY's water based.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

haven't heard of any codes in my area, but it really doesn't apply to waxing screws, does it??

Reply to
mac davis

sounds like you might have the same haircut that I do.. my wife calls it a "nohawk"... lmao

Reply to
mac davis