Waxing Wood Screws

What are the benefits of waxing wood screws before use? Would candle stick wax do?

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder asks:

Candle stick wax will do, but floor wax is easier to use--I just stand a batch of screws, heads up, in the can.

The wax makes the screws easier to drive, and may save broken off heads on some alloys of aluminum and most alloys of brass.

Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Bar-soap works too. I keep a chunk in the drawer with my drill bits. Just rub the threads against the edge of the bar to lubricate.

Reply to
RonB

I prefer using a hard wax like a paraffin or a bee's wax. Other waxes could contain additives that "may" adversely affect any finish you apply later. You don't need much - just coat the lower half of the screw threads so the wax is in the threads and wipe off any excess. When you insert the screw, if you haven't applied to much, it will not squeeze out and go all over. You'll soon be able to judge how much is enough.

Do not use soap as some may suggest. It supposedly draws moisture from the wood and starts rusting/corrosion.

Reply to
BobS

Interesting - had not heard that before. I have used either soap or canning wax for years and hadn't noticed much difference. Kinda makes sense though.

Reply to
RonB

Easier to drive them in.

Yes. Personally I use beeswax, because it's softer and easier to apply. I've usually got both within reach.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Less binding while driving. I've found that wire pulling compound works great too. Its probably got silicone or something, but I haven't noticed any finishing problems with it. I don't use a lot of screws in my projects, but for general use, I can't complain. I've used wax, bar soap, and similar slippery things with success.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

Bar soap includes water, and helps the screws start rusting.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Yes, it will work to decrease the friction between the surface of the screw and the wood and make it turn easier. While I prefer Bee's Wax. I was originally taught to run the screw through my hair. In the '50s most of us used a greasy enough hair preparation to qualify. These days the normal oils found on a person's hair are marginally usable unless you happen to be "lucky" enough to have oily hair and are a carpenter.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

"RonB" wrote in news:Ud7id.44355$EZ.40796@okepread07:

Well, bar soap gets the screw in, but it is reputed to draw water to itself, causing nasties around the screw over time. Certainly not good for oak...

Floor wax...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Using a carpenter's glue like TiteBond II on the threads seems to lubricate screws pretty well, too.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

RonB notes:

I think the word is hygroscopic. It is most noticeable in oak, with steel screws, as the area surrounding them rapidly turns black.

Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

It is my understanding that waxing nails is not a good idea. In fact I believe that some building codes make it illegal.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Just try it - steel screws into oak with soap on them produce "iron stain" if there's any moisture around. Plain or unwaxed screws in the same piece don't.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If there are building codes pertaining to the use of wax on nails used for furniture building, then then government has exceeded it's bounds.

David

Richard Cl> It is my understanding that waxing nails is not a good idea. In fact I

Reply to
David

hydroscopic

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Nails holding a building together should not be waxed. Only the friction between them and the wood holds them. Screws are a different fastener altogether and rely on the threads to resist pull out.

It may also be noted that buildings are different from furniture.

Matter of fact, cement-coated (CC) nails are specified in some codes.

Stop to think what making the nails come out easily would do, rather than what government should or could.

Reply to
George

A'yup. 'Specially the scented candles.

Reply to