waxing the tailpiece?

Yeah, funny subject; you write a better one.
Anyhow, I have turned many bowls, but decided to try my first spindle today. I found if I really tightened the tail piece there was too much friction; and if I loosened it, it wobbled.
I "solved" the problem by waxing it. That way I could tighten it up, yet not get friction.
Is this a reasonable approach, or is there a better way? Thanks.
Yes, wax was a standard until recent years. Now the standard is to use a live center. A live center has a ball bearing mounted point that rotates with the work so friction is not a problem. most lathes sold today come standard with a live center. Odd yours didn't.

today.

My cheapie from the toy store suggested using oil on the tailstock. I'll have to try wax sometime, though, as I don't need the oil staining the wood before I do it myself.
Puckdropper

The guy who sold his lathe to me gave me a bottle of Johnson's baby oil with it. Couple of drops on the tailstock; works a treat. Had no problems with staining so far.
-P.