Wax Finish Help?

Hello,
I need help with my dining table project. I've gotten to the final finishing stage, and the carnuba wax finish, which I've applied, looks streaky. My finish is as follows:
Wood: Cherry
Sealer coat: gel varnish mahogany gel stain x 1 coat gel varnish x 1 coat cherry gel stain x 1 coat gel varnish x 4 coats
After two weeks of curing, I flattened the surface with 600 sandpaper, and 0000 synthetic steel wool. Then I applied the wax, wrapped in a ball of cheesecloth. I buffed the wax with a buffing pad on a hand drill, the pad used manually, and cheesecloth, but I can't get rid of the streaks (with the grain, FWIW). It appears that the wax has adhered to most areas of the surface, but one can see uneven patches in angled light.
Possible causes:
I may not have waited long enough for the finish to cure. I waited two weeks. Most books recommend waiting a month, but they also say that the thumbnail test can also be used. The finish seemed hard enough, using this test.
Perhaps I'm waiting too long or not long enough when buffing the wax. The instructions on the can say to wait until it's completely dry. How long is that in minutes/hours?
My buffing tools may not be right for the job.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to proceed? I'm inclined to strip the wax off (I've only applied it to one half of the table), and reapply a coat or two of varnish and wait a good while before finishing the finish. Has anyone used pumice and rottenstone? I understand these will bring the finish to a nice satin lustre.
Thank you.
Curt Blood
@aol.com says...

It'll buff out much easier.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

It'll buff out much easier.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

"CBlood59" wrote in message ...

It seems excessive to me, by a lot. With carnauba, a little goes a long way, and it dries really hard. You may need to soften it by applying a (very) little more fresh wax to melt the dried, and buff immediately.
@aol.com says...

Hi Curt
Of course I can't, since I can't see the item or watch you put the wax on, say for sure. However if you have a good surface to start with and streaks after you apply the wax ................. Well......
I used too be be overly enthusiastic in applying wax myself. The results were pretty much what you describe and yes, it is a bitch buffing all that wax our.
Wrap the wax as you did but that doesn't mean you have to apply it all. A light touch, don't push it in and just a skim coat. Let dry, buff, repeat two or three times. Buff each coat until running your finger over the wax coat doesn't leave any streaks.
Good luck
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

Paint thinner, Xylene, denatured alcohol, and ammonia are wax removers/melters, CB. Why not start over?
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development