Wax covered Mallet

Picked up a Harris Tools 30 oz mallet the other day, and it is covered with a thick coat of wax, almost like a candle wax. Wood is NOT lingum vitea (sp) and is tauted as being check-resistant. I know the wax is there to reduce mositure transfer, but should some of it be removed? Running a thumbnail across it lifts flakes off. I'm wondering if this would flake off and get on the wood and bench, interfering with a finish.
brian_j snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'd take it off before I used it. It's gonna come off over time anyhow.
JP
On 11 Aug 2006 19:53:47 -0700, brian_j snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

My guess is that it's to protect it until use, like grease on a gun...
I'd get rid of the wax before I used it, for sure.. Mac