waterstone question

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:18:59 -0400, "RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote:>Do shine and edge not go together, regardless the technique?
No, only if the technique is right,.
For one thing, I can easily give you a mirrored bevel on an old refurbished chisel. But if I didn't flatten the rust-pitted back properly, the edge will be rubbish.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:18:59 -0400, "RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote:>Do shine and edge not go together, regardless the technique?
No. Shine and edge sharpness are not related. Once I used Scary Sharp to re-establish the edge of my plane irons. When I got up to 600 grit I noticed the edge was taking on a nice polish. Then, when I went over to my waterstones to hone I noticed the edge on the 4000 grit stone wasn't nearly as shiny as the 600 grit sandpaper but, the 4000 grit stone was much more sharp.
I surmised that the slurry of tiny metal particles and the quick dulling of the aluminum oxide sandpaper contributed to the polishing effect of Scary Sharp. FWIW, once I'm done honing on my 8000 grit stone the edge looks like chrome and can shave off the fine hairs on my knuckles. My chisels and plane irons are so sharp I've often cut or knicked myself while hoing without even knowing!
Layne