Waterlox

Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to finish and was considering trying this.
Thanks,
Frank (Novice Woodworker)
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:22:58 GMT, the inscrutable "Frank & Renee"

No, but it should work fine. Try it on a sample of scrap from the same project.
-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"
Add pictures here
✖
Seems to me that applying a hydrophobic material onto a hydrophilic material would cause problems.
spake:

Add pictures here
✖

Nope. Works fine. A little bit of transfer is all I've ever experienced.
Add pictures here
✖

It works fine. Make sure the dye stain is completely dry though because I have had instances where the dye stain mixes with the waterlox and causes blotches. I have also had the same problem using polyurethane (both oil based and water based) so I think the key word here is dry. SH
Add pictures here
✖
Slowhand wrote:

Maybe a shellac barrier coat would be in order?
Barry
Add pictures here
✖

Not if the dye solvent is alcohol or water.
Add pictures here
✖
Dewaxed shellac over water based stain seems to be the way to go. I have never tried it but in the latest issue of FWW pg 36, the author seals water based dye stain with dewaxed shellac before applying a glaze coat consisting of oil based varnish.

Add pictures here
✖
I have used it over black, water based analine dye. Works fine. I mix 1/3rd Waterlox, 1/3 pure China tung oil, and 1/3rd terpentine. I apply 3 coats of the waterlox mix over the dye, waiting a minimum of 24 hours between coats.
Rick http://www.thunderworksinc.com
Frank & Renee wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Isn't Waterlox already a mixture of varnish and tung oil?
Add pictures here
✖

I hate it when this happens. I started using Waterlox because I got tired of making my own blend. You mean I'm still missing out? Dang. I will admit to thinning waterlox on occasion though ;-) SH
Add pictures here
✖

I've done General Finishes Arm-R-Seal over water-based analine dyes lotsa times.
Add pictures here
✖

Hi Frank,
I've done it. No problems. Here are a couple of boxes I did with aniline dye on the curly portions, with Waterlox original over all:
http://home.earthlink.net / ~nateperkins1/Woodworking/projects/christmas2004/PC250141.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net / ~nateperkins1/Woodworking/projects/christmas2004/PC250142.JPG
Add pictures here
✖