Water stone grit - how to determine?

I got a waterstone from a sale. No grit marked on the stone or the box it came it.

How can I figure out the grit? Go to a lower known grit first, then the unknown?

Any suggestions are helpful.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Just send it to me... I'll let you know after I use it for a while. 8>)

Actually there is no way to know for sure. If you have waterstones now... it should be easy enough for you to determine with some testing around where it fits in.

First feel. Is it a coarse or fine stone? My 800 definetly feels different than my 4k or 8k.. So figure is it coarse or fine.

Then if its coarse put a slight nick in an old chisel. Real slight. See how long it takes to cut that edge back. Do it again with a known stone..

If its fine... its going to be tough. Figure out is it polishing like an

8k does, or is it cutting like a 4k does.

That's the only way I could figure... Curious what others say.

Reply to
tiredofspam