water stains on walnut speaker cabinets

Can anyone provide me with a method to remove some water stains from the tops of walnut stereo speaker cabinets? I was going to try using 400 grit sandpaper or perhaps a scraper, but wanted to see if someone might have a "professional solution". I have plenty of stains and cleaners.... I just don't know the best way to successfully correct my problem. Thanks in advance. Matt

Reply to
Matt Zack

nospambob

I thought I heard somewhere where the use of vinegar and an iron would do something to cure that, but I wanted to know for sure so I went searching at GoodHousekeeping.com. From there, it took me to Dear Heloise, and there found the following;

Q: Will mayonnaise or toothpaste erase water marks on wooden furniture?

A: Yes, in many instances. Treat milky rings as soon as you see them. Dip a slightly damp cotton cloth in a dollop of real mayonnaise mixed with ashes (cigar or cigarette) and gently rub the mark. Or, make a half-and-half mixture of toothpaste and baking soda. Use a damp cloth to gently rub the paste over the whitish marks. You may have to do this several times to eliminate the rings. Polish the furniture as you normally would.

You will find that at

or
for short.

I'm not sure if you want to try that in a very visible stain or do one of those 'out of the way' stains as a test. Or maybe not at all. LOL Good luck.

Reply to
FMB