Water Dispersal Agent 40

About 17 years ago we started working on clearing 22 acres of So. Alabama swamp/semi-swamp. There was not a week that went by that we did not discover a new use for WD-40. It cleaned paint and grease off hands, it freed stuck bolts, protected against rust, and the list went on and on. It got to a point that as we headed to Possum Bottom, we would actually remark to each other, "I wonder what use we are going to find for it this week?"
The point of the post: I was cutting a designs in a stack of four 3/16th inch thick ash boards on my scroll saw and had joined them with double stick tape - naturally. When it came time to separate the stack, the tape did not want to turn lose. Oh, I got the boards apart without much difficulty, but the tape did not want to turn lose of the wood. I tried about everything I could think of in the shop (scraper, acetone, etc) and nothing worked. So I reached for my old faithful can of WD-40, BINGO. The WD-40 turned the tape and tape glue to a gel which scraped off with little or no problems.
What would I do without my friendly blue can? :-)
Deb

What, you didn't think to use it to disperse the swamp?? <g>

In this case, I'd use a heat gun.

Not much. The only thing WD40 can't do is stop something from moving but duct tape can fix that. It is also good in the swamp for insect repellant.
http://www.realitywired.com/101-uses-for-wd-40.html
Peole always laugh when they look at my tool box, I have the big family size can of WD-40 right next to a tube of Preparation H.
I use the H ointment on iron saw tables and also my tools to keep them from rusting.
A thin coat does not get that greasy feeling and it resists water and moisture.
I learned about it years ago in my misspent youth from an old Navy Chief.
wrote:

Not much. The only thing WD40 can't do is stop something from moving but duct tape can fix that. It is also good in the swamp for insect repellant.
http://www.realitywired.com/101-uses-for-wd-40.html
Not much. The only thing WD40 can't do is stop something from moving but duct tape can fix that. It is also good in the swamp for insect repellant.
http://www.realitywired.com/101-uses-for-wd-40.html
------------------------------------
Apparently it kills roaches too.
I am not sure I want to spray something on myself that kills roaches.
Dr. Deb wrote:

One not-so-well-known use is as a solvent for aluminum and brass. I've stopped using it in locks. :-(
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Cleans/polishes Stainless Steel nicely also ... especially those SS stove/refrigerator fronts.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

It makes for a nice smelling after shave but not as good as Hoppes #9.
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
"Tom Watson" wrote

One of my all time favorite fragrances ... being responsible at the time for cleaning the guns after a hunting trip, just a whiff brings back my yoot!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Hoppes #9 was my favorite thing to have in the wind until I was old enough to pay more attention to Channel #5. Didn't clean the gun as well ...but...hmm...
(let me think on this a bit before I get myself in trouble).
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Agreed, that stuff smelled goooooood. Next favorite, fresh fired shotgun shell.
Did you say yoot???.........What is a yoot???

A noun coined in the film _My Cousin Vinny_.
scott
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message

time
yoot!
LOL Being a good waaaay Southern boy (South Louisiana), I thought that was the best line in the movie ... since I didn't know until the judge asked either! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Whew... you and me both. I never saw so much gunk and dirt collected in any kind of lock as one that was regularly "maintained" with WD40.
I quit using it years ago as I gunked up some of my pistols badly with the stuff. Then article after article came out about how police department techs, etc., were breaking down wheel guns that had failure/ near failure in the field and found the internals clogged with gun.
It is a fine penetrator, but once that carrier/solvent is gone... watch out.
I still keep a can around, though. When I get some kinds of butyl caulk (mostly NP1) on my hands, it cleans it off nicely. When that caulk transfers to my truck bed, it comes off without ruining the paint finish with WD40 if I can get it before it dries.
But the best use... by far... if I have nails, staples, tin caps, gun nails, etc., in the back of my truck and it is going to rain a day or two, a quick spritz across the the open boxes and the box tops really keeps the rust to a minimum. This is handy when we are working on a day or light rain or sprinkles where that stuff may be exposed.
Robert
btw - glad to see you back here, Morris!