Water based glaze

Not to start a debate on making wood unrecognizable - but - I'm trying out some different types of finishes to see what I like and have a question about glaze. I ran across an article on mixing glaze with oil paint (for artists) to get a deeper, richer color. All I can find is water based glaze and I wanted to know if I can still mix it with artists oil paint. My assumption is no, oil and water don't mix but I thought I'd see if anyone here knows or has an opinion. If I can't mix it with oil paints, what should I use to color it?
I'm working with Red Oak for the first time and trying to find a finish that I like. I'm building an arcade machine that looks a lot like a small table. (Remember the cocktail arcade machines?) I'm trying to make it look less like an arcade machine and more like a piece of furniture so I can keep it in the living room. Any suggestions?
Yes, no you can't. Oil and water do not mix!
You can mix in dry pigments or any colorant that is water based.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods