watching videos

there are some good videos out there

by good i mean that the presenters know what they are doing and are straight forward

i find the videos useful

but sometimes it is more enjoyable to learn by doing and making mistakes

have picked up useful tips here and there from videos but nothing beats just making things and learning as you go

which do you prefer or do you mix it up

Reply to
Electric Comet

When I first got into woodworking it was mostly trial and error and a couple of magazines. The local Woodcraft offered a course for beginners over a few days. It was a great confidence builder as we made a simple CD rack that was designed to incorporate re-sawing, jointing, thickness planing, dado, rabbets, curves, hand planing.

It was a couple of days invested, but knowledge that lasts forever and I'm not afraid to tackle anything.

An alternative is to move next door to a very experienced woodworker.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

depending on what i am going to do i like trial and error especially when the errors i make are salvaged into something usable

learning by doing even in a class is probably close to doing it with little to no knowledge

limited tools also can inspire new techniques

that is you get forced into coming up with a different approach

Reply to
Electric Comet