watching videos

there are some good videos out there
by good i mean that the presenters know what they are doing and are straight forward
i find the videos useful
but sometimes it is more enjoyable to learn by doing and making mistakes
have picked up useful tips here and there from videos but nothing beats just making things and learning as you go
which do you prefer or do you mix it up
On 7/21/2016 1:46 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

When I first got into woodworking it was mostly trial and error and a couple of magazines. The local Woodcraft offered a course for beginners over a few days. It was a great confidence builder as we made a simple CD rack that was designed to incorporate re-sawing, jointing, thickness planing, dado, rabbets, curves, hand planing.
It was a couple of days invested, but knowledge that lasts forever and I'm not afraid to tackle anything.
An alternative is to move next door to a very experienced woodworker.
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:20:40 -0400

depending on what i am going to do i like trial and error especially when the errors i make are salvaged into something usable

learning by doing even in a class is probably close to doing it with little to no knowledge
limited tools also can inspire new techniques
that is you get forced into coming up with a different approach